We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitu accommodation

Sweden
2 posts
Save Topic
Aitu accommodation

Hi

I am looking ofr accommodation for a week in Aitu. Should I stay in same place or move around? Any ideas or sugestions more than welcome!!! Also ideas on activities are willingly accepted! :)

Thanks a million!!

Sus

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitu accommodation

Hi Sussie,

I assume you do mean the island of Atiu, as opposed to the abbreviation "Aitu" for Aitutaki, which I am now seeing this island referred to - since the 'Survivor' series was filmed here (island has beautiful wide lagoon)?

If you refere to Atiu, I've stayed at Atiu Villas

www.atiuvillas.com

Separate villas in a private garden setting - with central dining, tennis court, swimming pool, scooter hire, tours arranged, pre-stocked larder in all units. A wonderful stay.

Also Are Manuiri - Gastehaus - with Atiu Fibre studio (local and international influences), coffee plantation-factory, and german spoken owners - will be a great alternative for more intimate stay.

www.adc.co.ck

Also look at Air rarotonga site - www.airraro.com

They fly Rarotonga-Atiu frequent service - but you can combine Aitutaki & Atiu islands, with flights and accommodation packages.

If going to Atiu - this is a special island with lots of native species -especially birds. Island has mystique, natural charm, unspoilt appeal and the most crystal clear bays and beaches - nice swimming. Also lakes, caves, ancient inland coral reef (makatea). Lots of Ecotours - onland and sea-trip to Takutea (island of birds).

Let us know when you have distinguished the particular island you wish to visit - Atiu or Aitutaki! Cheers.

Aitutaki
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitu accommodation

Kia Orana, I was just in Atiu and stayed at Kia Orana Bungalows which I would reccomend. They are owned and run by Papa Moe and his daughter Margery. Papa Moe is an Ariki (chief) of Atiu and very knowledgeable about the island. Both Papa Moe and Margery go way out of their way to help you out, book tours and tell you about events on the island. As for the bungalows they are stand alone huts of a traditional design with sweeping views of the valley out to the ocean. They are NZ$80pn. I would only not that there is no hot water, but it's hot year round. I wouldn't move round as all the accommodation is realtively near each other anyway. If you book you'll need to ring as they haven't quite entered the internet age at Kia Orana Bungalows +(682)33 013.

I would recommend the following tours:

-Birdman George's Eco Tour (big lunch halfway through)

- Masharll Humphry's Cave tour (with fresh water cave swim)

- Atiu Island Coffee Tour.

Margery will book these for you.

Also check out the sinkholes and coral garden, these need to be done at low tide on a calm day, amazing. Get George to explain how to get there.

Grab a scooter and do a loop of the outside at least once (it may be worth ringing Papa Moe a few days ahead to organise one, the rental place was out but Papa Moe gave us his but the breaks were largely absent)

Kia Manuia

Sweden
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitu accommodation

Wow thanks for all your help!!! And apologies for the misspelling!!! It was of course Atiu I meant, as it was posted on that specific forum....

Thanks again!!!!

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
209 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitu accommodation

I would encourage you to use Air Raro's Atiu/Aitutaki combination fare. All three of the lodgings mentioned are excellent choices on Atiu, which as stated in other posts has a lot to offer. My reccomendation would be to split the week between Atiu and Aitutaki, which the combination fare will allow you to do without having to return to Rarotonga. Have anice trip!

Papa Mike

5. Re: Aitu accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Atiu
Recent Conversations