We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

Hopefully, some of you will be kind enough to share your thoughts between a trip to Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha. I am trying to decide between the 2, originally I thought we would be able to do both on the same trip but do to the flight schedules that doesn't look too likely.

We are in our early 40's and like to relax and enjoy the beautiful water. We do snorkel but don't expect but entertainment, just some umbrella drinks. We have been to Moorea but not Bora Bora or Taha. We will be going in early October for about 2 weeks.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the differences?? Thanks!

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

I've never been to Bora Bora/Taha but I would go back to Aitutaki if you gave me the choice between the two!

We stayed on Aitutaki in Late September / Early October last year (2006) so your going at a great time! The wether will be nice and sunny all day, and you won't get alot of rain at all. Just maybe the odd Torential downpour. We had 2 when we where there. A few hours later and they are done!! :-)

I loved how friendly the people were there! The culture is something to experience and people are more than happy to educate you! David, a local native artist who lives along the airport strip has an art galery in his home where he sells his own creations. If you get to know him, he will tell you tales & ledgends of the island and it's people!! He is an amazing storyteller!

When you stay on Aitutaki you will fell like you are on your own little island! Not alot of tourist are there all at once. So you get the sence that this is your little paradise found! You'll have the beach all to yourself on most days!!!

We stayed at Paradise Cove and loved it by the way! 160$NZ per night for a beach front bumgalow! We paid for 6 nights and got the 7th free! We stayed for 14 nights!!!

The water is shallow along the outside of the island, but it's perfect for snorkeling!! Or you can take a walk or ride your scooter to the airstrip beach and swim there in deeper water!

I hope this helps!

If you have questions or want to see pictures please e-mail me:

yellownancy@hotmail.com

Happy planning!!!

Nancy

Atascadero, Ca
Level Contributor
196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

Hi,

I have been to both Bora Bora and Aitutaki. They are both wonderful places. The Lagoon is deeper in Bora Bora, so the snorkeling is a bit better, you do not need to watch the low tide like in the Cooks. The scenery maybe a bit prettier in Bora Bora, but Aitutaki is so pretty too.

It is cheaper to vacation in Aitutaki than anywhere in French Polynesia. The people are nice in both places. Both are clean. Since you have already been to Moorea, which is super nice too, it might be fun for you to try a different country and go to Aitutaki. You won't be disappointed. Good luck on your decision.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

Hi Aztec:

I would be happy to give you my thoughts on Bora Bora/Tahaa and Aitutaki. I have been to both destinations many times. Bora Bora is famous for it's lagoon. Truly a beautiful (and expensive) destination. Tahaa doesn't have beaches on the island itself, but, rather, on the surrounding motus at resorts like the Le Tahaa Private Island Resort (very very expensive) and Vahine Island Resort. This is a quiet destination and very romantic. There isn't anything but the resorts on the motus and sightseeing on the island of Tahaa will be limited mostly to 4X4 excursions. This island is untouched by tourism and is filled with Vanilla Bean plantations and soft rolling hills.

Aitutaki: The island itself is quite small and fairly flat. The lagoon is incredible and huge! There are a wide variety of accomodations, from small pensions to the five star Pacific Resort. One must go on the lagoon tours to get to most of the snorkeling and endless azure blue water views and untouched motus. These excursions are affordable and are the most memorable part of any trip to Aitutaki. The island life here is quiet with villages, a small teeny town, a few restaurants, and limited shopping. Truthfully, as mentioned above, Aitutaki will be alot less expensive than Tahiti overall as the New Zealand dollar is favorable to American tourists.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any further questions as many of us here have been to both destinations.

sunny regards,

shully

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

Bora Bora was once my favorite place on earth. I went 7 times in only a 5 year span, it was affordable, 4 of my 7 trips were 3-4 weeks in duration. There were only 3 hotels, maybe 300 rooms total on the island. Bora Bora has become the poster island for greed, decadence, over development and staggering, horrific, impractical, prices. Consider these. Someone going to Hotel Bora Bora in this day would spend in 3 nights what used to be my tab for an entire month. For the room only! More later. Pub

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

More tidbits. One single motu picnic probably 4 hours long approaches in cost what my entire 10 day first trip to Tahiti cost me. Nothing looks like Bora Bora but do you want to pay ridiculous prices for an island now overrun and spoiled with over 1,200 hotel rooms? Most costing near, at, or over over 1 thousand dollars a night? If that is no problem than go. People who went to Bora Bora pre build, and some have finally surfaced recently and backed me up, all agree with me, it's not the same place and the charm is destroyed. I personally think Aitutaki offers much better value and a now more authentic ,less trendy, and commercial experience. I have only been to Aitutaki once a fact that baffles me. My memories of the place are very strong and the motu of Aitutaki served up to me some of the best vistas and beaches I have seen in the region. As awesome as parts of the lagoon were on Bora Bora I have never seen such water clarity and color as I did in Aitutaki's lagoon in the vicinity of One Foot island. Pub

6. Re: Aitutaki or Bora Bora/Taha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki