We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

I have been reading this forum for about a month now, and realised I would have to book now for the beachfront bungalow in february! alas, they are already gone, and only villa 5 is available. all the photos of the bungalows online are taken from the beachfront....am wondering whether i should stay at samade instead and save the extra$110 per night, and try and get a beachfront bungalow another time? seeing as i really wanted a beachfront bungalow, when i arrive, i'm sure i'll be wishing the whole time i was on the beachfront!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

totara: I have stayed at both Etu Moana and Samade...April 2005.

My advice.........get any bungalow you can at Etu Moana!!! They all have a beautiful ocean view....any unit there would be gorgeous! It is a small property and everything is close to the beach. Samade's bungalows are not beachfront!!! They are set back from the beach about thirty yards and are staggered back from there. Only the one front unit has a true beach view and that is through palm trees and alot of people walk by going to their bungalows....the units there are great but are quite basic in comparison to Etu Moana! These two properties are day and night accomodation wise. Samade has a great bar/restaurant with basic and affordable food and drinks, also more of a social enviornment....the view from the beach bar is unprecidented in Aitutaki as it is beach front out into the opening of the lagoon. The Etu Moana has a continental breakfast included in your room and an honor bar by the pool...which incidently is great after a dip in the ocean! They have signing priviledges at the Pacific Resort which is expensive and a bit of a distance down the road. All in all $110 per day difference is ALL the difference in accomodation. I love Samade and the owners are friends of mine but if you want NICE then go to Etu Moana!!!

sunny regards,

shully

Zilzie, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

We only just back from our honeymoon at Etu Moana - Don't be worried about which villa you say in (we were in 8) every one of them has a great view of the lagoon and walking an extra 50m will be worth it, from memory the Samade were quite basic looking and quite small. You will not regret spending the extra money!!! Samade is in a complete other class + the sandflies were reported to be quite bad around there.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

I'm convinced, better book Villa 5! On a different note....if we feel like being social, can we go to the bar at Samade or not?

Is the Etu Moana bar a place where you can chat with other people over a quiet drink? Or do most people keep to themselves (not that I mind this, I'm looking for a peaceful quiet restful holiday, just wondering).

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

hi totara:

Great you decided on Etu Moana! Yes you can go to Samade anytime for a cocktail or a bite to eat. They have a sunday BBQ that is great and also an island night...most affordable on the island...big buffet and a dance show mostly with little kids...very cute. Etu Moana is a pretty quiet place but yes people do chat by the pool at the bar. You will love it!

sunny regards,

shully

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

Great! Thanks Shully!!!

Only one more question I promise....what will the weather be like in the beginning of February? Also, I am going to a locals wedding in Rarotonga (should be brilliant I'm sure!)...do you know if it's customary to bring a present, or money? Or both?

Thanks!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

Totara:

February is the rainy hot humid season! Yes wedding gifts are gratefully accepted! Cash? I suppose everyone likes cash but I'd prefer a gift at a wedding.

best to you,

shully

new zealand
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

try www.aretaibeachvillas.com

Beachfront very nice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

Don't give up the opportunity to stay at this little piece of paradise. I stayed in Villa 6 -- all the villas have ocean view and are really not that far from the beach. What makes this resort so special are the owners -- Jim and Joanne. They do their best to make sure all of your needs are met ... and they and their staff do it all first class. The villas are all identical and magnificent ... right down to the smallest detail. If you want to do nothing, that's fine. If you want restaurant suggestions, they're all there for you. Want to take a lagoon cruise? No problem -- they'll recommend and book for you. Not a single detail is missing from this resort. We did find that when we went to Samade for dinner, there was a big mosquito problem -- we didn't see/feel one at Etu Moana.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

I'm going to Etu Moana for three night, but have to split it with staying somewhere else for 3 nights (budget reasons!)....

KiwiFam - why do you recommend Aretai? Have you stayed there? What was it like?

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: no available beachfront bungalows at etu moana

I just emailed Etu Moana and could only get absolute beachfront for 4 nights and the rest in villa 2. should I just go with villa 2 for the whole time or split it up?

Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki