We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help- last month lodging panic

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Please help- last month lodging panic

I am worried that our trip is costing us too much! We have reserved six nights at Tamanu and becuase we are traveling with our daughter we have to pay an additional $85NZ a night. I did not budget for that when we made our reservations and we had already been pushing our budget. We are paying $304NZ a night (which includes a discount for staying at another of their properties).

Could anyone suggest another property (or properties) that would be less costly and that we would enjoy?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Hi there,

Have you already paid any deposits for your accommodation? This will have a bearing on potential to change your accommodation plans now - or to remain with what you have? What dates are you visiting both Rarotonga and Aitutaki again? Would it be for both islands that you are endeavouring to reduce the accommodation budgets? PM me if this helps.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Thank you, Frangipani, it is so nice to hear from you! I do not know if I am just panicking or not. I do not usually do this! I was just thinking about paying all the remaining amounts due on our lodgings and it seems like so much! I guess that I just want to re-evauluate my options and possibly compare a less expensive option for our trip.

I just checked on the deposits and refunds and it looks like we have about a week to change our reservations Tamanu, if we decided to.

Our lodging at Arapti Beach Bach on Rarotonga seems pretty reasonable and we would incur a fee to cancel and so I do think we will change that.

I am also noticing that we have a lagoon cruise for two, breakfast and airport transfers included with our room at Tamanu. So, it really is a bit better then I thought.

Do you have any other suggestions for Aitutaki that I might think about- just to confirm that we made the right choice with Tamanu?

Thank you for your help!

Gemma

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

P.S. I am reading and checking into all of the the lodgings recommended on the post " Aitutaki Accommodations".

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Yes, I do have a couple of Aitutaki options for you - best if you could PM me please!

Thanks.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
780 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Kia Orana Sparklegem,

I am sure that you made the right decision with Taumanu Beach.

We have friends who got back last sunday from 12 days there and they loved every minute. They are not on Trip Advisor but I will try and persuade them to join and post a review.

They were more than happy with everything at Taumanu Beach.

To save money cut down on expensive meals. Take snack foods from home and you can buy wonderful fruit next door from Tauono's Organic cafe at an excellent price. Visit Puffy's for Fish and Chips or just chips if you don't like fish) for a filling and inexpensive dinner.

You need to relax and look forward to what is going to be an incredible experience and the best ever holiday.

You can budget extra hard when you get home.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Thank you so much, Toddy! Your post made me laugh out loud ( I guess because I was relieved and it sounds great!).

I just went through the list of places mentioned on another thread and really the only one that I cam up with was Aitutaki Seaside Lodges and they work out to be only $32NZ less a night then Tamanu! And, I really think that we will love Tamanu.

Thank you everyone for helping me through my momentary panic!!

And Frangipani, I will PM you right now!

Thank you!!!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
780 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

Spelling sorry, "Tamanu Beach"

I was replying to Sparklegem from work as I am becoming addicted to Trip Advisor.

Cheers all.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

LOL Toddy - and we aren't... yet!!

Can't wait for the new poster to join us either - the more the merrier.

Cheers.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

It is alot of money to have your daughter in the room with you. You could also contact them and tell them you didn't work that into your budget and ask them if they could work with you on that. Be sure you are communicating with a manager. When we traveled a few months ago I asked for discounts and everyone came back with a better price. It never hurts to ask.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help- last month lodging panic

It is alot of money to have your daughter in the room with you. You could also contact them and tell them you didn't work that into your budget and ask them if they could work with you on that. Be sure you are communicating with a manager. When we traveled a few months ago I asked for discounts and everyone came back with a better price. It never hurts to ask.

Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki