We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Kia Orana,

Just looking back through some dated forums on this topic, and would like some current advice if anyone has it.

We are staying at Etu Moana next April (2012), and I hear this area is too shallow for most water activities, can anyone please tell me where is a good swimming spot (excluding the motus)

Also is Puffys still there doing their yummy fish and chips (so I read)

And is Samade a good Island Night - we would like a fairly professional performance if possible - as I see some of them have a lot of untrained kids or amateurs involved.

Thanks in advance for anyones suggestions here.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
125 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

One of the best snorkeling spots is Paradise Cove-adjacent to Puffys. I also like the beaches near the airport runway. Yes! The Puffy family is going on their 11th year. Best fish & chips anywhere! I believe Tamanu has a "professional" island night. Word is Pacific Resort eliminated the children from their show. I haven't been to one on the island recently.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

As of two weeks ago Puffys wasn't open according to everyone we asked when on Aitutaki, but the sign is still up. We found the best beach for swimming to be at Samade.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Thank you both for that info, shame it's not still open. We're not going till April so things may change I suppose, but the only other posts I could see were from 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Puffy's was open in April when we were there. They may just be away. Check with Etu Moana. We regularly snorkel in front, you can't take a kayak out and tie up to the buoy.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Darn word complete. You CAN take a kayak out and tie up.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
125 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Puffy's is open, folks. I live on the island and visited with them today. A wonderful family. Still making the best fish and chips ever!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

We had lunch at Puffy's last Tuesday, battered yellow fin tuna and salad, very nice too.

We also went to the island night at Tamanu Beach Resort, where we were staying, last Thursday night and it was pretty good, you can walk up the beach if you have a torch!

Samade is a fair way from Etu Moana, you'd need a motor scooter to get there or maybe they will come and pick you up if you want to have a few drinks.

Enjoy it, we loved our week on Aitutaki and I hope to get back there regularly in future.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Hey -- that sounds amazing.... now where would we get a torch!?!?!? We're staying at Etu Moana and would love to walk the beach up to Tamanu! What if we brought a flashlight? haha would that work?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

Thanks for your help everyone.

We will most definitely visit there for a meal at some point. I can't wait till we head over, 8 months and counting.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etu Moana stay - Restaurant and Island Night info

I love it when you're that far out and can read all about things.... gather paperwork and notes all over the place..... when you're like us -- down to 3 weeks... i just start cutting and pasting and printing out things that may or may not be even helpful!! and hoping to not lose it by the time we get there!

I would like to know about torches.... i think taking the new bride on a leisurely stroll up the beach with a torch would be ROMANTIC -- just have no idea how i would get one !!!

Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki