We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

Avarua
1 post
Save Topic
Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

I'll try to keep this short by cutting out the aggravating details. My family and I have just returned from Aitutaki where we spent 4 perfect days....except for our hired scooters. Rinos , where we initially wanted to rent had none left so we went to Ranguini's Rentals through Josies next door.There were six of us so we rented 3 scooters. The first day our scooter puffed out after the first 4km. We managed to get it running again but the next morning it kept puffing out every few meters so we returned it to have it replaced. The next one seemed to work fine however we noticed that the tank was only half full so we filled it up. On the evening of the third day we went to town to do some shopping the scooter broke down, apparently a problem with the battery. We phoned Steve, the rental owner, who came out and gave us yet another scooter which barely had a couple of liters in it. Steve agreed that, because of this and the inconvenience caused by the multiple break downs, neither we nor our children would have to return the scooters filled up. The last day we spent out on the lagoon tour and so we didn't use the scooters until the late afternoon when we had to return them as we were leaving the next day...To our dismay, the third replacement scooter wouldn't start so we had to leave it in front of our accommodation. Our children took us down to Josie's to drop off their 2 bikes, their tanks were half full. Apparently the man there wasn't aware that we had broken down yet gain the previous evening and said that what we had agreed with his boss Steve was no concern of his and thus refused to pay back our down payment of $60 for returning the scooters with full tanks. We were furious and so he conceded to give us back $40 dollars and keep $20. We were so furious and disgusted that we refused his offer of a lift and preferred to walk the 4km home. I can understand that one can be unlucky and have a problem and replacement once but not three times in four days. For obvious reasons I don't recommend Ranginui's Rentals, his bikes are in poor condition, even my kid's had faults such as poor rear breaks and indicators not working, all had unreadable petrol gauges.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

Well, there are always two sides to every story, and since you very first post is to complain, your complaint is naturally, suspect. Sorry. Chuck...

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
119 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

Well. This is not the first complaint regarding this outfit's scooters. Even from the locals. I am very sorry you had to experience this. Have you attempted to contact Steve directly?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

Also check out Popoara Rentals, we had an almost new scooter for 4 days, and when we returned it on Sunday night almost empty they only charged me NZ$8 for fuel, I was very pleased.

They even gave us a lift back to Tamanu after dinner at the Boat Shed, that's what I call service (they also picked us up from Tamanu when we rented the scooter on Wednesday night).

There seems to be nowhere in town to buy petrol on a Sunday!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

Sorry to learn about your rental scooter experiences, Onebrightpearl.

Regarding Sunday petrol purchases on Aitutaki - I'm fairly sure that the Neibaa store located in the village of Vaipae sells petrol along with its ever expanding range of clothing and general items. This store is a popular spot for local shoppers on Sundays.

5. Re: Beware of Ranginui's Scooter Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:18