We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki ”

today, 7:03

Hi Everyone,

I have never been to the cook Islands before -

was looking at two places first a house in Aitutaki called anchors nest and the other was a little further out there plamerston Atoll! yes i read there is nothign there.

Can anyone tell me anything about these places and i have to go in January mid as its kids only time off school - don't mind rain but is it just not the right time?

Thanks Todd

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,581 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Welcome to our forum, Todd.

I take it that you are considering a visit to the Cook Islands because your annual leve will coincide with school hols? But also, you can take the direct Sydney - Raro flights to reduce travelling & transit time via Auckland?

I'm not aware of a rental villa named Anchors Nest on Aitutaki. I know that next to Ootu Villa on Ootu peninsula there are several more new villas. Don't know their names, but they look lovely brand new with absolutely stunning views down passage to the distant motu. When Puapii arrives on the site, he'll be able to identify whether Anchors Nest can be found on Aitutaki.

There is a rental villa called Anchors Rest on Rarotonga. Situated at the southern end of Arorangi village, this holiday home is located very near to Aroa Beachside Inn which shares a delightful lagoon and white sandy beachfront with the rental villa.

Palmerston atoll? Not an option for a short visit. The biggest problem is access to this remote atoll, located NW of Aitutaki. There are some 50 persons living on Palmerston who find life has its challenges. The atoll has no room to create an airstrip. One day when the Cook Islands upgrades its inter-island shipping service you may be able to visit Palmerston.

Meanwhile Rarotonga has plenty going for it to provide a wonderful family holiday. One of Rarotonga's strongest features is the fact that you can arrive the island, transfer to your accommodation and be stepping on to a fabulous white sand beachfront which is suitable for a swim.-possibly within the space of the hour; and more so if you take the direct flight which arrives into Raro at 7:00am.

Did you especially want to rent a holiday villa for self catering for your first visit? I'm wondering if one of the lead-in resorts like The Edgewater or the Rarotongan which both have heaps of onsite activities besides having a marine reserve each within the lagoon? The Edgewater has several s/c apartments as well as villas. Same with the Rarotongan resort - but only 3 villas.

Timing of visit - wintertime is popular, but the prices for airfares and accommodation are higher then. Rain? That's liquid sunshine!

Aitutaki - either take the Air Raro day-tour, or stay at a s/c property like Paradise Cove, Inano Beach, Are Tai villas or Akaea cottage.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Hi and thank you must of had a mental block it is the anchors rest (....)

and thanks for all the information - yes i am coming on school holidays so is the rain that bad? otherwise its sounds like the place to rent and here we come.

Will i need a car while i am there for shopping - is a supermarket close?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,581 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Hi Todd, I'm pleased we solved your question.

Weather cannot be predicted accurately beyond saying that January is part of the wetter season in the Cook Islands. So far, Rarotonga has been suffering a drought since May with less than expected precipitation falling. October rainfall was down, so who knows what'll happen by January.

Please don't be overly concerned about the rain. We receive much rainfall overnight, and if there is a patchy period during the day, it's either short and sharp and more of an annoying factor than days on end stuff - unless we are in a real storm/cyclone.

There's a small store approx 5 minutes walk towards Arorangi from the Anchor's Rest. At the entrance to the house, turn left on the main road and it's around 200 metres away. Nearest full-stock grocery store is Rite Price in Arorangi. You can get the bus to Rite Price, located opposite Crowne Beach Resort - will take around 5 minutes by vehicle.

Otherwise the biggest supermarket is in Panama/Avatiu called CITC supermarket. CITC's town store Foodland is between the Police HQ & Westpac Bank. Wigmore's superstore is around 7 minutes by bus towards Titikaveka (in the east). A good alternative to a town shopping trip. They grow fresh fruit and veg, and sell meats, drinks, breds, cone ice-cream, cooked foods, wine and groceries. They also operate a takeaway, and sell petrol - open 7 days.

Where the Anchor's Rest is situated is a gorgeous spot on Rarotonga. The beach is excellent for swimming, snorkelling and kayaking. The Brunch Cafe at the roadside of Sunhaven Villas has recently reopened. Cocoputt is open 7 days, lots of family fun and their cafe is licenced. The mini-golf cafe does a Sunday BBQ meal.

Nearest ATM is ANZ at the Rarotongan Resort - say 20/25 minutes stroll from your accommodation. The resort has several restaurants, and several buffet dinner-cultural shows each week. Inland from Anchor's Rest is Highland Paradise cultural village which also does cultural nights a couple of times per week. No visit to Raro for first-timers is complete without at least one safari tour! The yellow Reef Sub boat takes passengers from Avatiu harbour (ner CITC Supermarket) to view marine ife on the ocean side of the reef. Muri beach is always a draw-card with its lovely motu scenery and water based activities; including lagoon cruises. Again, it's easy to catch the bus to reach all these places.

Hopefully you've booked your preferred accommodation by now.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Kia Orana Todd, As Frangipani08 mentioned there are some new villas in Ootu beach if you are planning on spending any time on Aitutaki - which I recommend you consider.

If your trip is short, there is the option of a day trip to Aitutaki which will give you an idea of how beautiful a place it is. You fly over in the morning, get a tour of the island and then spend the rest of the time exploring the lagoon. Then fly back to Rarotonga that afternoon.

Most people who visit for a short time end up regretting they didn't spend longer on Aitutaki and when they return they often spend more time here.

Either way I am sure you will have a wonderful visit to the Cook Islands.

Edited: 04 November 2011, 16:28
5. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 November 2011, 09:35
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,581 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

Butch, I think you need to familiarise yourself once again with the TA guidelines.

ka kite

7. Re: Anchors Nest House rental in Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki