We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Hi everyone,

My partner and I will be arriving to Aitutaki on 29 December for 8 nights. We are a young couple and obviously our parents get anxious so we need to check back home every now and then to let them know we are safe (and to make the jealous).

Can anyone let me know if there are pre paid sim cards available for purchase that will fit in iphones? i.e. the mini sim cards. We arrive at Rarotonga at like midnight and then have the first flight to Aitutaki in the morning so when would be the best time to purchase one?

Also we have around 7 or 8 hours between arriving and the flight to Aitutaki, can we just stay at the airport for this time?

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

It's early morning here in Aitutaki but I will check with Telecom to see what they have available. I know they have sim cards that people have purchased to use in their cell phones but I don't know if they are pre paid or not.

You could just stay at the airport but you won't be all that comfortable. Your best best for staying near the airport would be the Aquarius. It's directly across the road about 100 meters away. Their e-mail is reservations@aquariusrarotonga.co.ck You can get some rest and clean up after your flight.

Look forward to having a great holiday on Aitutaki.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Rather than sitting at the airport, you could walk across the street to the Aquarius Hotel and get one of their dorm rooms for a bit of a rest. There is nothing open at the airport after the flight lands and it will be pretty boring there for 7 or 8 hours on hard chairs. I believe they are a WiFi hotspot and probably sell the minutes.

For a local Sim card to be able to make local calls, you can get them at Telecom Cook Islands, but , difficulty getting to the one here in Raro even though they are open 24 hours a day as the buses don't start running until about 6:30 and taxi's are expensive.. I think email would be cheaper and easier, just my opinion. Koru Cafe, in Aitutaki has a WiFi hot spot.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

I checked with Telecom and they would have to cut a sim card to fit. As MsVancouver mentioned there are WiFi hot spots here on Aitutaki. The Koru Cafe and the BoatShed are two. Your accommodation may also have it available. Where are you staying on Aitutaki.

The Koru will be closed until the 2nd or 3rd of Jan but the BoatShed will be open. There are no free WiFi spots.

Another option is to purchase a phone card from Telecom here on Aitutaki.

Hope all this helps.

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Kia Orana

Telecom CI (which is located in the Avarua township) is no longer a 24/7 operation. It opens at 7am and closes at 11pm - 7 days a week.

If you are wanting a pre paid sim card for your iphone - it is best to call into the Telecom centre and try it first. The only advice they can give - 'is to bring in the phone and try it.first' Only in the Cooks!!

Local SIM cards can make both local and international calls. You just use more credit for the internaional calls (much to Telecoms pleasure). Telecom Kia Orana cards (or calling cards) are a much more cost effective option to use. Calls are $10.40 for up to an hour - that's a lot of bragging!!

As an aside - do you need to bring a very expensive iphone to the Cooks? As in other countries, iphones are highly desireable items that are sought after by the 'not so nice element' of the community. Why not buy a cheapy phone and bring it over. Doesn't matter then if you lose it over the side of the lagoon cruise boat...

RBB

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I think I will just bring an old phone and get a normal sim card. Probably the safest and best option.

We are staying at Etu Moana which I believe now has wifi in all the rooms so that is a plus. Maybe just make a few calls and email when we can.

Thanks for the tip on the Aquarius hotel. I will look into that now. I would much prefer to get some rest and a wash so we can feel good for our arrival in Aitutaki.

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: Mobile Phone Sim Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 10:20