We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

TeKing had some very good snorkeling stops and the lunch was very good. Was with group form a cruise ship so there were a bunch of people, a bit more than I would of liked but neverless the tour went fine. About $75 USD for 6 hours. Owner/tour operator was a bit over the top but from my prior visits I remember this is normal for many of the local Polynesian males. Lots of fish, colorful coral. Would do it again next time I'm there.

The BIG one - http://gallery.me.com/zelleolson/100634

Feeding the fish - http://gallery.me.com/zelleolson/100672

Edited: 27 December 2011, 22:35
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,334 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

Polynesian males being over the top? No way! We love them in our sports teams etc - especially due to their physical strength and exuberant character. Aitutakian men are renowned entertainers anyway; they love an audience. It's just part of their culture.

Kia manuia.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

Being to the South Pacific going on 20 times this wasn't my first BBQ. Personally I didn't need some one talking to me like I was a child. Yes he loved to 'work' the crowd. No big complaint. A few small ones suh as .......

1. His web site states, "TeKing Lagoon Tours are small and intimate, ensuring a more personal experience". But he had 46 of us all together on 5 boats. He would tie the boats together, everyone had to be herded off of 2 of the boats and then return via the same 2 boats, took as long to unload and load everyone as the actual time we got to spend in the water. I guess the profit from having 46 all at once was to big for him to pass up.

2. His web site shows a modern boat with sun cover. He tried to put me & the Mrs. on a older boat with no sun cover. This was due to the big crowd again so he couldn't just use his normal boats.

3. We couldn't visit all the islands that are mentioned on his tour on his website due to the extra time it took to herd 46 people.

4. His website states, "Dine seated at a table in the lagoon." THat didn't happen, I expect because of the large number of people.

As I said prior we all rolled with it. The snorkeling we got to do was good and the lunch tasty. I'm just a stickler for delivering what you advertise. If I was just hanging out for a week on Aitutaki which I've done several times I would be upset if I got tossed in with a huge boat load. I'll make sure there isn't a cruise ship sitting off the island next time I'm there. Would I take him again? Yes, but not with a big group.

Peace

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

A bit more .................

There were 12-15 of us who came together via Crusisecritic. As a Destination Expert for French Polynesia and having been to Aitutaki several times the group took my lead when I said TeKing was the best tour to take on Aitutaki.

After getting on the ship several of the Cruisecritic group shared with others not part of the group but on the ship that TeKIng was the best tour but the ship did not have this excusion listed.

So the Cruisecritic group was expecting 2 boats with the 12-15 of us having a somewhat private excursion based on the information provided on TeKing's website.

So many people from the boat heard about TeKIng that they asked the ship to make arrangements for several others to go that were not with the Cruisecritic group.

So another 30 or so were tossed in with the Cruisecritic group. This is where TeKing went wrong. He should of taken the Cruisecritic group separate on the boats and doing the things mentioned on his web site.

Any other arrangements he made with another group from the ship should of been considered a separate group which TeKing could of made a bit different than our group.

In America we call this 'bait & switch', something that is frown on. As I said we made the best of the changed situation. I hope TeKIng learns that in a day with internet/forums etc people do hear what you deliver. Sometimes it's better to make a smaller group very happy than to make a larger group somewhat happy.

On thought. He could of just came clean with both groups and said lets make the best day of it as we can and for the changes I'm making it an open bar for the day, injoy ............... problem solved .......

Next time I'm in Aitutaki for a week I'll give TeKing a chance to redeem himself, I might even buy him a beer : )

Enough said

Edited: 28 December 2011, 17:41
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,334 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

It's good that you have clarified/expanded on your earlier comments which has helped to gain a better perspective on your particular experience. Personally Im not one to go with a group any larger than 6 persons. However I have gone out on the Aitutaki lagoon with both Titi Ai Tonga and Bishop's largest vessel on several occassions and have enjoyed both cruises very much; even though there were more than 6 persons present. But these boats are spacious anyway, and having only one vessel undertaking the trip it has seemed like we were the only ones upon that vast expanse of water and therefore we were able to avail ourselves of greater attention by the crew(s).

A lesson to be learned from tiki's reveiw is to enquire fully beforehand what the state of play will be should guests encounter a visiting cruise ship in port, and what the maximum number of passengers the cruise operator is planning on taking out on the same day as you are booked.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 07:18
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

Yes, a good lesson to be learned. Our group of 12-15 didn't know of the group of 30 before we had been shuttle off to another beach landing about a mile away. At that point we were 'prisoners'. I remember Teking saying that once we get to the beach landing he would share with everyone the game plan, we just didn't know he was going to share with more than our modest group.

In defense of TeKing I will say I've taken 3 different lagoon tour companies. We saw the best coral with TeKing.

As we both have said, ask the about game plan before he picks you up, ask how many people are going to be on the tour. If it's more than 2 boats I would pass and go rent a scooter for the day and then tell him to re-schedule you for a day when he isn't herding a large crowd.

I did write a review with pictures, should be available in a few days.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 16:12
Novato, California
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

We did a fantastic, non-crowded tour with Puna (Aitutaki Adventures?) and then a few days later similar tour with Bishop. We loved Puna's tour, he was very mellow and knowledgeable. Bishop's we didn't care for, their tour seemed a bit "tired".

7. Re: Videos of my Teking lagoon tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:18