We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Enjoyed the great feedback on purchasing food for the trip.

we are having a week on Raro, and a week on Aitutaki. Wanting to check the availability of wines on the islands. Strictly a wine drinker i am hoping reasonable wines at affordable prices are available. Recently visiting Vanuatu where choices were very limited and prices were through the roof, wish to prepare myself in advance:)

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Kia Orana Wing, Depending on when the last deliveries were, there is usually a fairly good selection of wines on Aitutaki. You will need to shop around at 4 or 5 places to see all that is available. Prices can range from $18NZ to $30NZ or so. Almost exclusively NZ and Oz wines.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Hi wing

There's a good range of NZ and OZ wines available on Raro. You can get a pretty good selection around the $20 mark -sometimes less for specials.

The two main places to buy wine (and other alcohol) are the Bond Store and the CITC supermarket has a separate booze store as well as selling some in the supermarket. Wigmores in Vaimaanga also sells wine.

My preference is the Bond Store - a good selection and there are always a good selection of wines on special. I'm a wine drinker, too, and never feel deprived on Raro.

Prices are certainly more expensive than NZ - we've got wonderful supermarket prices now. But you have to consider freight to Raro.

I agree about prices in Vanuatu although the range in the main supermarkets was good as long as you knew your French wines - which I don't nowadays.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

The prices of wines in Raro are nothing like the prices in Vanuatu.

We shopped at the Bond Store & weren't disappointed with the variety & quality of New Zealand whites on offer at about $20 to $25. We found Aussie reds that retail here for about $12 were around $20 on special in Raro.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Thanks for the great feedback and excellent news!

Another question - totally unrelated to alcohol - Are the inter-island airfares any cheaper from over there. We're reading $280AUS each way from Raro to Aitutaki at this end. Seems alot.

thanks again - cheers

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

Air Rarotonga occasionally has last minute discount fares but they are usually announced on the day of the flight or at best one or two days in advance. So it's not something to count on. The later in the day flights from Rarotonga to Aitutaki and the early morning flights from Aitutaki to Rarotonga are usually cheaper. Their web site is: http://www.airrarotonga.com/

The Tamanu Beach Resort on Aitutaki sometimes has advertised packages that include air fare. The flights on Air Rarotonga are code shared with Air New Zealand and sometimes if you book through Air New Zealand you can get a better deal. Otherwise, unfortunately, there are no cheaper fares. Those of us who live here have to deal with it also. It's been a thorn in our side for quite awhile.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 17:26
6. Re: purchasing alcohol in the Cook Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 05:16