We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Accommodations

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Budget Accommodations

Hi. I will be in Aitutaki in October for 3 weeks. I have been once before, but this time I am definitely on a tighter budget. I have been scouring the net for accommodations that will fit my price range and have the facilities I require. I found Matriki (fell in love with it from their site), it just seems to suit me. I need a place with a stove top/burner, refrigerator, and utensils (pots, etc) as I am vegetarian and will bring most of my meals. Problem is, Matriki doesn't have the dates I need! Is there anything similar that anyone knows of and would love to share their knowledge? Oh, and a private bathroom is a must. Matriki quoted me at $69 night and I don't want to go over that. Anything that fits the bill, or am I asking too much?! Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance! Meg

ps. I'm not into luxury (if you couldn't already tell), so that is a non-issue.

I forgot to mention, I came across Runway Logde on aitutaki-accommodations.com/Runway_Lodge_ait… for $40/night single. I happened to see another site reviewing accommodations and quoted it starting around $130. Anyone know the real price range? I know it is in advance, but I don't want the same thing to happen as did with Matriki. Sorry for running on so long!!

Edited: 21 June 2013, 04:50
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Budget Accommodations

I found the people looking after the Runway and it looks like there is nothing available for the foreseeable future. They have long term tenants. Your best bet for your budget and the amenities you want would be to phone the Paratrooper. But remember caveat emptor.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Budget Accommodations

Pauapii, thank you so much for going out of your way to help so much with my questions! You have went above and beyond. So I'm going to take the plunge today and go ahead and reserve either the Vaikoa Units or suck it up and stay at Matriki in a beach hut. (And I in no way mean that in a negative light), just meaning I guess I can do without my own bathroom for such a beautiful beach : ) I'm not asking you to recommend one over the other, just curious as to what your experience has been with people's reviews between the two and their overall happiness with either place. I can see you have a lot of knowledge and I'm sure you've read a ton on here about people in a similar situation as me. To me 3 weeks is a long time, and I just want to make sure I make the right choice, albeit mine to make.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 00:33
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Budget Accommodations

I suspect that Runway Lodge hasn't been available to casual guests for some time. I recall several years ago a young couple went all the way to Runway in Ootu (walked mostly from Arutanga township) only to learn that the guest accommodation part had been closed for some time. But once they discovered Ranginui's, they were more than happy with the outcome.

If it helps in your decision-making have a look at the accommodation reviews on TripAdvisor for your short-listed properties to see what others have to say.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Budget Accommodations

Frangipani's suggestion to look at the accommodation reviews is a good one. The one thing in Vaikoa's favor is that it does have private bathrooms and it's on the same beach as Matriki only a little further south and is considered one of the better snorkeling spots.

15. Re: Budget Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:17