We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika Fever

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Topic
Zika Fever

Hello! I wondered if anyone could advise on the recent Zika Fever outbreak in the Cook Islands. My husband and I will be traveling to Aitutaki mid to late May. How severe is the outbreak? We were already planning on taking the necessary precautions (mosquito repellent) prior to learning about the outbreak.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,433 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zika Fever

Kia Orana MSotos, welcome to the forum.

There hasn't been much local publicity about Zika of late. During the past 2 months, health officials have undertaken environmental measures to bring the mossie spread and population under control. seems to have been working effectively.

Continue to be vigilant and health conscious from the time you arrive on Rarotonga. Hopefully, by mid May the situation will have improved further.

Enjoy your visit. Kia manuia.

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zika Fever

We've been home 10 days and all is well.

It was not a subject that anyone talked about while we were there. Seemed to be a non event with the locals and anyone we asked they said they had all had it and didn't think there had been any new cases for weeks.

Most said they didn't report it.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zika Fever

Keep up to date on Zika (and everything else) by reading the online news paper. Chuck.

cookislandsnews.com

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zika Fever

I talked to the Aitutaki doctor recently and asked about Zika. She said there have been quite a few cases but didn't seemed too concerned. It's been pretty much a non-event.

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zika Fever

I really don't think it is a non event if you go on a holiday and end back at home sick. Not a great way to end a holiday. The best way to make it a non event is to always have mosquito spray on - morning, day time and night - be vigilant people!

Regards

Suzi

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zika Fever

Thank you all for the information! I had been following news of the outbreak since February, but hadn't heard much news lately, so I really wanted to know what the locals were saying. This was all very helpful!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zika Fever

You do realize MSotos, that what is going on NOW with Zika (or anything for that matter) is for the most part, not relevant to what will be going on the end of May when you are there? Chuck.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zika Fever

Mstos.

The locals aren't saying anything, that's why I called it a non -event in their eyes. Nothing was being said at check-in at the hotels, most tourists didn't know anything about it.

Having been to the Cooks so many times we have made many friends and they all looked at me like I had two heads when I asked them about it. They had all had it, felt unwell for a few days, end of story. They couldn't see what the big deal was.

My husband and I seemed like the only ones taking precautions. Babies playing on the beach with no clothes on etc.

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zika Fever

Yes, however the reason I am trying to collect as much information as possible is because I have an underlying condition which may prevent me from traveling to the Cooks as a precautionary measure, even if the cases are on the decline. Just trying to do due diligence on my end to make an informed decision with my doctor. Hoping for the best case scenario, as we have been wanting to travel to Aitutaki for some time now..

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zika Fever

DonnaMaree, thank you very much for that insight!! I have had the chance to speak to someone who also lives on the island and described the sickness just as you said. So I am hoping for the best!

Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki