We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about north Aitutaki

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about north Aitutaki

I have some questions about the north side of Aitutaki. First I know there is some Marine research center just after entering the road towards the golf course from the old air-strip. What is it? What do they do? Anything they are showing tourists?

I have also noted on the same road there are some very high poles, looks like a support structure for some HF-antennas or similar. Anyone have anything to tell about them and if still in use?

Third I wonder about the golf cource, do one need to have a green card to play or is it “pay and play”? Do they provide clubs? How many holes? Opening times? Green fee?

1. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 00:35
Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

Hello Fernsie

Well, that was my first trip. You do not have to be suspicious – I have been visiting more times since 2005 

And yes, the interest I have for the antenna poles is just because of my radio amateur interest.

I have been a member on Tripadvisor since some years but I did not know there was a forum since recently.

Most time spent on Aitutaki has been more close to town, out on Outu and of course on the lagoon so I have not dug deep on the knowledge of the north part. That is why I ask.

Please tell me more.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

Hi Again marons,

Sorry, I must be suspicious by nature - " I did not know there was a forum since recently" you first posted on this forum in 2009.

Very odd to say the least!

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

Sorry for my English…. I forgot about the forum till now and found that there was one.

What could there be to be suspicious about? This is a forum to ask questions and/or give advice.

I hope you understand now.

Do you know anything about the questions I have?

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

The Marine Research Center has been operating for over 20 years. It's primary purpose is to replenish the clams that have been over-harvested in the lagoon for many years. It is open to the public all hours. The snorkeling off their beach is also some of the best on the main island.

The golf course is a nine hole course open to anyone who wishes to play. The club house is not staffed regularly so one would have to make arrangements to play. They have a limited offering for rental clubs.The current green fee is $NZ30 for eighteen holes (you go around twice)

Fkp
Level Contributor
86 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

Thank you for great answers Puapi.

Very informative, I did know the snorkeling was good there but came there over the beach. Did not see any tourists visiting from the beach so thought it might not be open for visitors. Now I know better.

Would you know anything about the wooden posts that look like HF-antenna support poles?

7. Re: Questions about north Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki