We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian River bears

Belgium
10 posts
Save Topic
Russian River bears

We too like to see (grizzly's) bears in the region of the Russian River.

On You Tube I saw a wooden platform, just like the one near

Hyder (Fish Creek) where you can observe the bears .

Or we stay here a few hours between 7 and 10 p.m. or we rent a guide, if they are available. Or is the best to stay near the fishermen

and the campground.

Where exactly is that platform or the fishermen 's place? Do we need "the Kenai river ferry " to reach that place?

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Russian River bears

Hi LouBelgium,

I suspect that the wooden platform that you're referring to is the one located at Russian River Falls - it's the only viewing platform I can recall seeing when I spent a day checking out the Russian River, Russian River Falls, and Lower Russian Lake back in early October 2005 - and the falls would be a logical place for the bears to attempt to intercept salmon returning upstream. I saw fresh bear scat in the area between the Falls and the Lake, and even if you don't see a bear at the Falls you can watch salmon leaping through the air as I was able to do by stationing myself along the river just below the falls. I've created a slideshow set to music called 'Russian River' at the following link if you're interested in seeing what the area looks like:

www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html…

Russian River Falls/leaping salmon photos comprise the middle third of the show. As you can see from watching the show, even if you don't see a grizzly, the location is definitely scenic enough to make it worth a visit. You access the falls via a trail (it's about a 2 mile hike from the closest parking area), so you don't need to take a ferry.

Hope this helps and that you get to SAFELY see your bears. Let me know if you have any add'l questions re: the falls or locations in the show.

Alaskan in Exile

2. Re: Russian River bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 08:22
Get answers to your questions about Cooper Landing