We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to see bears at the Russian River falls.

3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to see bears at the Russian River falls.

We are going to be in Cooper Landing on June 12-13. What is the best time of the day to have a chance to see bears catching salmon?

2 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to see bears at the Russian River falls.

It's really a rare chance that one sees the bears at the falls. Early morning is probably the best time to see bears, but I make noise so as not to startle them. In 14 years X 2 trips a summer X 2 hikes each trip, I've only seen bears at the falls a few times.

I looked back on your original posts & see that your dad is elderly & mobility challenged walking with a cane.

Rather than that 4+ mile RT hike, another option is to enter Russian River campground & drive to the top parking lot (King Salmon) then walk down the long, steep stairs to the boardwalk to the confluence to watch the fishermen.I've had black bears walk across the boardwalk in front of me unseen at first as they come through the high grasses there. I've also seen brown bears in the river. But once again that's over many years & many visits :)

Easier without the steep stairs or 4 mile hike is to go down to the Russian River ferry to look or even take the ferry across as fly's & photo's describes in this old thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60873-i1361-k1793…

Certainly be very bear-aware even on the boardwalks.

We usually did the 1st salmon run around the summer soltice, so you could be early for the first run. It's all a gamble.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to see bears at the Russian River falls.

Yup, you'll be pretty early for bears, the fish are just hitting the river then and depending on the run timing there might not even be fish up at the falls yet.

Reply to: Best time to see bears at the Russian River falls.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cooper Landing