We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

We've booked a 1/2 day fishing trip on the upper Kenai River and now see the fishing license cost $145 which means we'll be spending over $300 for the fishing trip ... and if it rains the trip could be canceled without any refund. Now ... we're trying to decide whether to take a raft trip instead. Thanks in advance for any advice. We're not fisher people.

Kenai River Float-n-Fish
Fishing Charters & Tours
Five Dogs Fishing
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Kenai River Trout Anglers
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Day Trips
port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

The upper Kenai during a salmon run is sometimes referred to as combat fishing. harvesting pacific salmon is different than most other fishing. for red salmon you essentially have to snag them in the mouth. you might enjoy the float trip more. you can always book a half day charter boat to fish for salmon out in the bay or sound, more relaxed, less crowded, more traditional fishing techniques.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

Hang on, a one day fishing license costs $145? Where did you see that? My parents have gotten one and three day licenses- one day is $20 and three is $35 or $40 I think.

Did you see the non-resident ANNUAL license?? That's for an entire year- you don't need that. It's only $20 each for a one day license:

www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

Edited: 29 May 2014, 21:01
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

I think your last line says it...if you're not fisher people, save a few bucks and do the raft trip. Plus the raft trip is geared towards scenery/wildlife, the fishing trip is geared toward, well, fishing:)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

I've been fired as our trip planner! Thanks to your input, I rechecked and sure enough the fishing license fee is only $25. Talk about egg on one's face. I am confused about "combat fishing" as I don't know what that is, but we're going to brave things and take the fishing trip. Thanks again!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

You can see "combat" fishing as you drive west of Cooper Landing along the Kenai River as they are kind of elbow to elbow. If you are not fisher types this would not be for you anyway. Suggest 1/2 day charter trips where they bait your hook anyway, (other than Cooper Landing that is).

6. Re: Fish or Float Raft Trip In Cooper Landing Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Cooper Landing