We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muri Beach Resort

Auckland
7 posts
Save Topic
Muri Beach Resort

Hi There,

We're going to Rarotonga in Sept and want to stay on Muri Beach.

Has anyone stayed at the Muri Beach Resort in the last couple of months since it has changed hands? ( Used to be teh Sahngri La cottages)

Will be interested to know what you thought and also if you have any other goods tips for accomodation around the $200-$250 nzdollar a night.

Thks

Jayne

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Muri Beach Resort

Hi Jayne,

My husband and I stayed at Muri Beach Resort in June. We also stayed there twice when it was the old Shangri-La.

The cottages are still the same as they were when the place was called Shangri-La. They are clean, spacious and comfortable, and have some basic cooking facilities if you don't want to eat out every night.

Paul and Jane (the new owners) are making some renovations on the property - mainly to the previous owner's residence which is at the beachfront of the property. They are making it into 3 separate apartments. They are also building a new common area around the pool which has a bar in it and will eventually run on an honesty system. They are also building a new reception area at the entrance to the property. These renovations hadn't been completed when we were there in June but were not far off completion.

We still feel that Muri Beach Resort is good value for money, considering its location. The new owners are lovely and will be able to give you advice about what to see and do. I think the renovations and the extra services they offer (scooter hire etc) really enhance the existing property.

Hope this information helps!

Auckland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Muri Beach Resort

Thanks so much for the info and has helped make my mind up about going to the resort...sounds great.

Our 1st time in Rarotonga and we're really looking forward to it!

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Muri Beach Resort

You will have a great time! Rarotonga is a beautiful place. Be sure to have dinner at the Flame Tree (on Muri Beach past Pacific Resort) - beautiful food and great wine :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muri Beach Resort

Jusr wanted to let you know we have just returned from the Cooks (and sometime will get round to our trip report) and while on Raro stayed at Muri Beach resort

Happily I can highly recommend it and the new owners!

Jane and Paul are friendly, helpful and make you feel like valued guests and yet part of the family all at the same time

The new alterations were virtually finished when we were there but there were steady improvements constantly.

Hotplates were being replaced, bikes were being purchased, new plantings around the villas etc

If you're happy with the self servicing option I'd opt for one of the beachfront apartments - that's our plan for next time

Tricia

sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Muri Beach Resort

Hi,

We just returned to sydney after spending fantastic 9 days in the cook islands including 4 nights at the muri beach resort. Paul and Jane the new owners were great- they are busy making changes to the resort which i can say are all positive. The deck overlooking the lagoon was finished whilst we were there, unit furniture was being replaced and there are plans for also replacing the kayaks etc. We were very impressd with the resort which is saying something after having spent 4 nights in Etu Monana on atutaki!

We will definetely be heading back in the near future!!

Enjoy your trip

Andrea

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muri Beach Resort

A picture of one of the studios in at the beginning of my Rarotonga video.

…mac.com/zelleolson/iWeb/Site/Rarotonga.html

It's nice to know Raro left the place in good hands but I'll still miss "Princess" greeting us ..................

Princess was Raro's dog .................

Auckland
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Muri Beach Resort

Fantastic! Thanks so much for your comments......can't wait to go!

8. Re: Muri Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga