We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipwrecked / Survivor

Filey, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shipwrecked / Survivor

A question for the experts.

Motorakau and Rapota islands, ( Aitutaki )

Channel 4, GB, will be filmimg "Shipwrecked " once again on these islands from Sep 07 for at least 4 months. This must follow on from "Survivor" , filmed during the summer months.

Are these islands out of bounds for tourist ( swimming ,snorkling etc ) during these times and what state are the island in, ie vegetation etc ,after all these years of filming?

Is it a good advert for the promoting of tourism in the Cooks?

Thanks!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

I've been following the Shipwrecked issues on Channel 4's Shipwrecked forum and I've heard they are only there for 3 months this time and not 5.

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

When Survivor was there last year, the tour boats were shooed away from landing on the motus. I imagine the procedure would be similar this time around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
445 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

Ugh! Will they really be there? WIll this affect our time there? I don't want to feel like the place is all busy with TV production. I live in NYC - I experience enuff of this everyday.

newcastle
Level Contributor
792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

We visited one of the Shipwrecked Islands in April after the last lot of filming, there were a few remnants left - table etc. But nothing to spoil the natural beauty.

I think the scale (and budget) of Shipwrecked is much less than Survivor, and only the two islands are closed - there's still plenty of islands and lagoon to explore!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

We will be in (on?) Aitutaki Sept. 17 to 22 - this is the first we've heard about Shipwrecked being filmed there. Does anyone know for sure if the filming will have begun by then? Nothing like going to what you think is a "remote unspoiled" island, and finding out the film crews will be sharing your space. Bummer.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

They start filming in the first week of September.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
638 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

Hi,

We were there in 2005 when Castaway or shipwrecked was being filmed. We honestly didnt notice any difference in what we experienced. Most of the film crew stayed at on motel and were on the island all day filming. As far as the islands that they were filming on boats werent allowed too close to them, But it really didnt make a difference as there are plenty of other wonderful wee islands to land on and it isnt like these are the key ones.

So if it is anything like our experience you should be fine.

Enjoy

Filey, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

Thanks for the info everyone!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

There was a great deal of information posted when Survivor was being filmed in Aitutaki. Many people gave their experiences, all positive. Really no one seemed to be affected other than not being able to visit One Foot Island....there are so many beautiful motus out in that lagoon....there are tons of other places to go. The lagoon tours just went elsewhere...honestly it was fine. The island wasn't overrun with production people either. A search in the box on this page will dredge up all the previous posts regarding the Survivor filming. No worries..............

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipwrecked / Survivor

thanks for all the reassurance. We have been planning this trip for so long, and we are soooo looking forward to visiting these islands. Living in LA, the idea of taking the film industry with us to the Cooks was just really distressing! We will, of course, be there from the 17th through the 28th of September! Right in the middle of the filming. Oh, well. Hopefully, the Survivor experience will hold true for this new "reality show" filming, and we won't even notice that they are there. Thanks again, Sharon

P.s. - we're finally down to counting weeks until we leave, instead of months! Whoohoo!