We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants on Raro & Aitutaki?

Ontario, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants on Raro & Aitutaki?

Hi--

Spending a week in the Cooks next month-- hooray! I'd love some advice re: restaurants, esp. in Raro. I keep reading that there are lots of great places-- what are your faves? All price ranges-- I'm sure we will want to splurge sometimes, go on the cheap others!

Thanks-- Leslie

Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants on Raro & Aitutaki?

Hi, we're from Manitoba and just came back from 3 weeks on Raro. AMAZING!! I so envy your upcoming trip, was just saying today (whining actually) " I want to go back". Ok, so some of our favorites were:

Flame Tree: Muri Beach area, great food and service with very reasonable prices on meals and wine (approx 70-80NZD for 2 with wine and tip)

Sails: Muri Beach, ask for out on the deck overlooking the ocean, great food, good service, a little more pricy (90 - 100NZD)

That's Pasta: Muri Beach, we did take-away, very delicious

Tamarind House: near town, amazing menu, very upscale service, beautiful restaurant with gorgeous setting, more expensive but not too bad and definitely worth the splurge (110 NZD)

Mama's Cafe: in town, breakfast, good coffees, take-aways

Moana Take-aways: in the market in town, great chinese food and curries to take home for really cheap (8 NZD)

Vaima: in the Vaima area, much nicer than it looks from outside and great food, service and atmosphere

One more "must" if you are there on a Saturday: go early to the market and enjoy and eat crazy food - like curries, beef with mushroom sauce on a bun, or (my favorite) chicken skewers on the BBQ- at 7:30 or 8:00 am like the locals do. It is such a riot and you'll be glad you got up early and went once you see it.

Where are you staying? Do you have a kitchen and will you be buying groceries/ liquour for the room? If so, I've got a few suggestions.

Hope this helps. Have a great time ... you are so going to love it there.

Cheers

Tanya

NewZealand
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants on Raro & Aitutaki?

Hi ..

Spent 15 nights in Raro and what a great time.

If you like Pizza, the best place to go is Portafino's, beautiful setting, not expensive and the deserts are great (that's if you can eat them after the amount of pizza you eat), also you have to try the garlic bread there, its devine.

The other place we went was Palm Grove, awesome food there and it is middle of the range price. They do have one night, I think they called it there Island night, you would have to ask them as I only seen it on a brochure in our room, not anywhere else round the town. That particular night was one of the most rememberable nights we had there, cant miss it.

And believe it or not, there is a cafe at the airport which is open at lunch time every day, you have to get there on time as it gets really busy, (very popular), for about NZ$10 you will get the best hot lunch (very NZ style) and plenty of it.

Hope you enjoy your trip, actually looking at going again soon ourselves.

Tina

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants on Raro & Aitutaki?

TAMARIND HOUSE in Rarotonga! Fabulous! Expensive but worth every penny.

FLAME TREE: Formerly owned by the woman who owns the Tamarind House.....expensive

SAILS: Right on Muri Beach. Service is really slower than island time! Food is just beachy okay...abit over priced.

aitutaki:

CAFE TUPUNA:

Unbelivable....don't know where she gets all those fresh baby greens and recipes for fish! Wonderful.

SAMADE BEACH: Cheap drinks and food on a gorgeous swimming beach. They have an island night there too...only $30 NZ for the show and buffet.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations