We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Hi

Are there many restaurants near the Puaikur reef lodges?

If not, I noticed the sunsets about 7pm at the moment, is it safe to catch the bus to a restaurant after dark (by safe I mean safe to wander along the road if its very dark and you can't see the trafic or might get lost etc.).

Thanks

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Kia Orana,

No there are not many restaurants near Puaikura Reef Lodges.

There is a small cafe..somewhat obscure near the store down the road and apart from that the nearest would be at the Rarotongan.

In answer to your other question ...it is safe to walk along the road at night .

Tipani

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Actually, it is NOT very safe to walk along the main road at night. As you mentioned, it is quite dark, there is no sidewalk and very little place to walk on on the side of the road. Make sure and carry a flashlight, hold it in your hand closest to the road so it swings and is isable to oncomming cars. If you can get one with a red filter, even better. Just be careful, and when you see a vehicle comming, you might even stop, and try to get off the road further. There are many not so sober drivers out at night. Take care. Chuck...

vancouver
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Hi if we stayed at the Puaikur reef lodges without transportation, then would it be a bit of a hassle - taking the bus to a restaurant every night, just getting some groceries for breakfast in the morning etc. etc.

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Kia Orana,

Good info Chuck.

My saying it was safe, referred more to not being set upon etc by unruly elements!!!

My husband always suggests not to assume and I assumed in this case, people would use their commonsense with regards to walking at night,torches etc.....silly me!!

Tipani

vancouver
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

If we get the bus from Puaikur to Muri for example at night would we have to do much walking in the dark?

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Are there any stores near Puaikura where we can get some food supplies from?

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Kia Orana,

If you did get the bus from Puaikura to Muri you can flag it down when you get on and get let off exactly where you want to be ...so more or less no walking.

On the whole the bus drivers are pretty obliging.

If you are going to use the bus for transport it is less expensive to purchase a concession ticket.

Tipani

Tipani

vancouver
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Thanks.

I was looking at the island bus timetable and for the concession ticket it says 10 rides for $22 and in brackets it says share a ticket with a friend.

Does that mean if you buy the concession you only need one ticket for two people?

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Kia Orana,

Yes!!

Tipani

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any/many restaurants near Puaikur reef lodges?

Sort of. You get 10 rides for $22.00. That's 5 rides each for two people or 1 ride each for ten people. Chuck...