We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

raro questions

usa
8 posts
Save Topic
raro questions

A few random questions. Is it safe to swin in the ocean at night? How expensive is alcohol? How expensive is water? Is it possible to make your own food in your accomodation? Should I bring snorkling equipment? Thanks for the help.

rochester
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: raro questions

we just returned from rarotonga. in answer to your questions:

the lagoons seem very safe. there should be no problem for night snorkeling or swimming provided you watch for coral. use an underwater light of some sort. the ocean (beyond the reef) is not a place to swim at all unless you're very experienced.

the alcohol, water and food seemed to be more expensive than in the U.S. For example, cans of coke are about US$ 1.60.

definitley possible to make your own food in your accomodation. We stayed in the "self catering" hotels and prepared meals. found the stoves to be harder to cook on (less power).

many hotels and resorts have equipment. i would consider a wetsuit if you're going to be in the water for a lot of snorkeling as the winter water is somewhat chilly. we rented fins at the dive center, where you can rent other gear as well. right across the street from this establishment we found the best snorkeling in rarotonga.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: raro questions

I wouldn't swim at night.........it is probably okay to do so on a beach like Muri in Rarotonga or at Samade in Aitutaki as there is no coral. You don't want to get a coral cut! It can ruin your entire trip. Alcohol is expensive by the drink but affordable by the bottle! There is a liquor store in Avarua Rarotonga with the best prices. What kind of alcohol? You can boil water and refill bottles to save $$$ or there are a couple of people on the island that will deliver 5 gallon jugs to your hotel. Yes, most properties have full kitchens in Rarotonga. Mostly kitchenettes in Aitutaki........depends on the property. Yes, bring your own snorkeling equipment and don't forget to wear reef walker shoes! Again...the coral cuts should be avoided!

Where are you staying?

usa
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: raro questions

I thank you both for your great advice! I will be going in december and staying at castaway in raro and paradise cove in aitutaki. (As you can see this is somewhat of a budget trip)