We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Vodka

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder City, Nevada
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Vodka

Duty Free Vodka

I know there is the duty free shop in Rarotonga just before customs. But for those of you that come from the United States, is it better to get the Vodka in the US, or just wait until Raro ?

I'm not that picky on brands, but would prefer top shelf, like Gray Goose, or Kettle One, and not sure if that is available in the duty free, or even in the stores down there.

Thanks,

Mark

ps..with only a few weeks to go I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Hi Bora Bora Tatooed,

I browsed the very limited range of spirits in the only incoming passengers duty-free late last week. If you love bourbon, you're in luck! Think it best to purchase the brand you prefer before you arrive - saves having a tired, and unhappy traveller, on the rock.

Besides, the entire Arrivals hall in Rarotonga will be demolished as from 2nd March (official date for commenceent by the NZ contractor) The Airport Authority intends to provide a greater choice of duty-free shopping, and better comfort for passengers. Completion date hopefully around late November/early December. And I see the roof was leaking badly the early morning I flew out.

You could try emailing The Bond Store, and CITC Liquor - in Raro, to ensure stocks on the rock are available - in the unexpected event you do run out. But I did see heaps of Russian vodka in the CITC airport duty-free - besides all that bourbon!.

Ask away about your other interests in the C Is Mark.

Cheers/Kia Manuia.

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Vodka

So does this mean there will be no duty free when we get there?

Boulder City, Nevada
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Ahhh yes, I forgot about the remodel, thanks. Seeing I don't want to take any chances that it might even be closed, I'm going to just pick it up at LAX duty free before we leave.

I'm sure I will have to "re-load" at one of the local stores in town before the 2 weeks are up.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Mark

Auckland
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Glad you asked the question. I was just searching for info and discovered this. We are flying in for my son's wedding in June and would have been expecting to pick up our spirits for the wedding, holiday and cocktails.

Now that I know this we'll advise all our guests to pick it up at departure in New Zealand.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Yes, like fairy6, I too would like to check.

Does this mean no duty-free at all on arrival after March until works completed?

Also could you please let us know the date on which the increased departure tax comes into effect. What I read was a little unclear.

Thanks, frangipani.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Hi everyone,

It's the 2nd March today, so the NZ contractors should be on site to commence reconstruction of airport arrivals hall.

I'll check with Airport Authority and advise the forum what's happening with the CITC duty free store (on your right as your enter Customs/immigration).

And departure tax increase was delayed when I departed Raro. mid February. Still $30.00 per adult. Will advise what is happening with this as well.

Kia manuia.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Hi Frangipani08

Congratulations on being made a destination expert for the Cook Islands - long overdue I would think! Your advice is fantastic

Regards

Suzi

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Vodka

Hi Suzi,

Many thanks for your congratulatory message.

I think it's what I've been doing for some time - in a variety of ways - all voluntary I'm happy to add. Besides I know a range of things to do with the Cook Islands, and its where my heart lies. I'm enjoying sharing information and supporting others to gain as much from their Cook Islands experience as possible.

Cheers & Kia Manuia

9. Re: Duty Free Vodka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:21