We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

A large majority of resorts, bungalows & holiday houses in Rarotonga state that children are not welcome.

Tahiti is a major honeymoon destination. Tahiti dosn't ban children.

What's going on?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

I know this is really really surprising to parents of young children but a lot of people, not just honeymooners, would like a quiet holiday without screaming kids disturbing the peace.

I don't believe the Cooks is any more anti children than anywhere else but if you can't find child friendly accommodation there (which I doubt) please take advantage of Tahiti and go there instead.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

Hi ag,

Several boutique resorts have a no children under 12 policy to protect their market segment aimed at those travellers who seek a quiet stay. And there are a few private rentals aimed at the luxury end of market who have a no child policy. These are mainly due to having un-enclosed swimming pools, and expensive fittings and furnishings. But there is a diverse range of accommodation available throughout the Cook Islands where children under 12 are welcome and indeed specifically catered for. PM me if you require help with tailoring your needs on Rarotonga.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

I agree with both the above posters. The Cooks and especially the Cook Islanders are totally not anti children.

However, many visitors go wanting total luxury, quiet and relaxation. Several places, as previously said, don't allow kids because of pools or design of villa that are not safe for small children, or because the property is so small that kids would be disruptive to the other guests.

Please don't feel that there are no accomodations for you and your children, just realize that they may not be the very high end small places geared towards romance and relaxation. Keep searching - you will find something.

4. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2009, 13:46
5. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

II totally get that couples on honeymoon or without kids like to stay in child free areas - and power to you but I have to say I take great offence that you all categorise kids as all being noisy, screaming, out of control and un-mannered. That is simply not true. My 10 year old is quiet, well mannered and respectful of others property.

Holidays should be what you want and there is nothing worse than being surrounded by kids if you don't want to be. As a parent there is also nothing worse than being somewhere where you feel you are not welcome or someone sends looks of death every time your kid is a kid. So I think it is fantastic that the resorts in the Cook Islands clearly define the experience and who the accommodation is for

Regards

Suzi

8. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

Removed on: 12 March 2009, 13:47
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

The strong inference was there!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are The Cook Island's so anti-children?

Aussiegoddess when we started looking for somewhere to stay we thought the same thing they dont want kids there but, we are going to Cook Islands in 4 weeks for a friends wedding and we are taking our 20 month old daughter, she is a very happy toddler who is going to have an a ball over there... we have chosen to stay at the Muri Beachcomber they are fine for the kids to stay they provide cots, high chairs, baby baths which will make our trip a whole lot easier, will have to let you kow how we go!!!! Ask frangipani08 she will be able to help you out with all you need to know... :)