We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook Islands for a solo traveller?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Cook Islands for a solo traveller?

Hi, Im thinking of escaping Melbourne's cold weather with a trip to Cook Isles for about 10days max. Originally planned it for end of year in December, but am worried about the weather at that time.

What month would you recommend for travel between july - october? DOes it get too busy at any particular time? Just wanting to relax in the sun/beach etc..amongst nice scenery.

Is it a safe and easy to get around place for a solo female traveller?

Any ideal places to stay/see ??

thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook Islands for a solo traveller?

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to our Cook Is forum.

If you seeking to escape the wet and cold of winter in Melbourne, suggest you visit The Cook Islands during the depths of winter - nearer July/August when its especially cold for you.

The Cook Is is a safe and hospitable nation of only 13,000 or so permanent residents. Rarotonga is the main destination and has the interntional airport, as well as a range of accommodation to suit all budgets.At times we do have low level (petty crime) so best not to leave valuables on display or bags on beaches when out swimming. Motor vehicle/scooter accidents do occur so when hiring a vehicle take car to observe the spped limits/safety advice. Rarotonga has a very good public bus service which circuits the island both clockwise/anticlockwise regularly during weeks days, and set times over weekend and nightlife buses.

Have a look around this forum for ideas about accomm, activities and sightseeing.

Another useful site is www.ck - it has accom listed, and great overviews about the islands customs and culture. Vara's backpackers and Are Mango in Muri popular tourism accomm properties for meeting people, and for their close proximity to many lagoon and land attractions. Vara's also has s/c units separate to the main house at Muri.

Aitutaki has wonderful scenery -especially the lagoon, and sets a relaxed pace of life - any number of g8 accomm there, take a look at Matriki beach huts - www.aitutaki-accommodations.com

Be quick if you are keen to go over peak wintertime with accomm and flights - both Air NZ and Pacific Blue (Virgin Blue) from Oz, and only Air Raro for internal flights - www.airraro.com

Cheers

maorichikita
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook Islands for a solo traveller?

Hi Jenny 8791

I travelled to Rarotonga by myself in October about 3 years ago. I had the same concerns being alone and i was only 22 so i left sydney feeling quite nervous.

The weather was nice although it was raining when i first arrived. I chose to stay at Club raro mainly because being alone i didnt want to stay in a cheaper/more secluded sort of place and club raro had been recommended to me.

Getting around is heaps easy you can either catch the bus, hire a scooter or even a car. I did the bus for a couple of days and then hired a car to enjoy driving with the top down and the sun on my skin.

Everyone was really friendly and even when i went out at night i felt safe, no sleazys there and all were very respectful and helpful.

Be open to talking to the locals, they will surely tell you where the best places to chill out are and dont worry too much. I had a blast and now im planning to return next year for my wedding.

Have fun!!!

3. Re: Cook Islands for a solo traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 05:21