We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

Hi all

My husband and I are travelling to Rarotonga end April and are keen to do some outrigger paddling. We bought paddle for clubs here in NZ so not novices...and my husband is a qualified steerer.

Perhaps some of the local experts might be able to tell me if

a) there is an outrigger club in Muri and how we might contact them or

b) do any of the aqua/activity huts or hotels hire outrigger canoes?

Look forward to your assistance

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

I'm a kayaker and I paddled w/the ladies at Muri, had a ball. Let me see if I can find you some info. I e-mailed the club and heard back from them w/all the information on where and when to meet. I'll get back w/you.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

Here's the club website...

http://www.vakaeiva.com/

Here's who I corresponded with...

victoria@oyster.net.ck

Hope all this is all still good info for you! I hope I can paddle w/them again when we return to Raro!

Have Fun!

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

Fantastic

I've flicked off and eamil enwuiry to Victoria just now. Fingers crossed. Did you go out in the 6 man or OC!'s?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

6 man...was my first time paddling in an outrigger, must have done okay, they invited me back!!! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go again, time just didn't permit.

I did run into the ladies again when they were doing an 8k one evening when we were having a late afternoon refreshment at Trader Jacks. They flagged me down and chatted for a few minutes, then invited me to be a timekeeper for the kids on Saturday...much to my dismay it was the day we were leaving.

They were very gracious and as I said earlier, I had a ball! Hope you can catch up w/them. Remember, people on Raro don't live in the same computer oriented world that many of us do, so don't be surprised if it's a week or two before you hear back.

Good Luck!

5. Re: Outrigging (waka ama) at Muri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:20