We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I have read a few previous posts on taxi service, however, i would still like to know...if we don't rent a car, and want to go out for dinner or drinks in the evening's when the bus service is not running, how easy is it to get a taxi??...We are staying at Moana Sands Villas...

And same at Aitutaki??..where we are staying at Etu Moana...

I can see driving a scooter in the day, but night time after drinking probably not such a good idea...

How do u guys all get around.

Thanks...;o)

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

You will have no problems at all getting a taxi, both on Raro and Aitutaki.

Just ask your respective hotels you want a taxi and they will organise one for you.

On Aitutaki, there is a flat rate fee to go anywhere on the island by taxi. The fee back in 2008 was NZ$20 for the two of us. So no matter how short or long the trip was, the fee was the same.

And some hotels will pick you up and return you back to your room for free. An example of one who does this is The Pacific Resort on Aitutaki.

You will love Etu Moana. We stayed there for 16 nights and loved every moment.

Foxton, New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Hi

Me & my partner are planning to travel to Raro in May staying at the Edgewater. Does anyone know how much it should cost to get from the airport to there at the early hours of the morning & if I do have to book prior.

And if you are squashed in with loads of other people.

Or should we just spend $35 pp for return hotel transfer?

thanx

Jacinta

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

nzjacinta: Just pay the $35.00. Chuck...

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

We never ended up ever using a taxi on Rarotonga...We rented a little convertible for 35.00 per day, therefore, instead of paying the expensive airport transfer, we arranged to drop the car off at the Budget car rental near the airport for half the price and then Budget drove us to the airport, it was worth it...For 35.00 per day, we will rent a car next time we go for sure, it was awesome, just totally enjoyed driving around the island at our leisure!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I agree with Tracy448. Renting a car would be easiest. We did the same, the little convertible for around the same price. It was great to come and go as we pleased.

We also rented the same type of car on Aitutaki - Nissan March.

We used the airport transfer provided by the Pacific Resort on both islands and it was worth it.

I drove past Etu Moana a few times and it looked really really nice.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

We took the bus and the occasional taxi while on Raro and taxied on Aitutaki. While staying at Etu Moana, you will be asked if you want transportation when they book your restaurant.

On Raro it cost us $30 return to go from Moana Sands to Stephanos. Vaima's has transport included. None if the restaurants we went to minded calling for us.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Who did you rent from on Rarotonga? We are trying to reserve a car for November and are getting much higher rates quoted from Budget than 35 NZ per day. Did you reserve in advance?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

I believe the $35 per day special is based on a weekly rental. Have you tried Island Car? They have good rates as well. If you don't pre-pay, and I recommend you don't, you can always shop around when you are here and see if you can arrange a better deal.

Cheers!

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Thanks, we are looking at Island Car now, they do seem to have decent rates.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi's on Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Sorry, i never saw the last few posts..but we rented from Budget..based on a 7 day rental..We went right to the office, i do believe u get a better rate than if u get ur hotel to book...It was only a small convertible, nothing fancy, but all u need on the island, will rent one again next time we go!!!