We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are flippers necessary?

Christchurch, NZ
Level Contributor
157 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Are flippers necessary?

This might be a silly question but is it necessary to have flippers for snorkelling? I gather the water is not that deep and Capt. Tama's website says flippers aren't necessary. We have our own snorkels and masks but are undecided if we need to buy flippers.

Thanks

Rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are flippers necessary?

You can always buy some flippers when you are there if you need them. I always take my flippers but they aren't necessary. They just help you move through the water.

Most flippers are just the front foot part with a strap around the heel, so you still need your reef shoes on, my flippers are a XL size to accommodate the reef shoes.

Flippers take a lot of room in your suitcase so just bring your snorkel and mask.

The water isn't deep either.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Flossie

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
813 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are flippers necessary?

We like to use flippers when we are snorkelling because they make it easier to swim around. We only took our own snorkels and goggles too. When we went on our lagoon tours they all supplied flippers with a full sole and filled in back. Even our accommodation supplied this type of flipper so there was no worry about standing on stonefish. I am sure you could buy them there if necessary.

Christchurch, NZ
Level Contributor
157 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are flippers necessary?

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't that keen on taking two sets of flippers in our bags because of the size. Cheers

4. Re: Are flippers necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga