We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re beaches

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
126 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re beaches

Hi,

I have done some searches but cannot seem to find what I am looking for :-)

We are looking into self catering accommodation and have seen some great holiday homes. However, I understand there are some parts of the island where the beach would be quite rocky.

We are looking at either the Rarotonga Retreat:

holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/…map

or some places close to Muri Beach, though it is hard finding reasonably priced accommodation on the beach.

Can anybody please let me know what parts of the island are very rocky or affected by high/low tide? As we will more than likely be staying somewhere where there is no pool, the beach is very important to us for swimming/snorkelling.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks

Sheri

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re beaches

Kia Orana Sheri, and welcome to our Cook Islands forum.

The majority of the north-eastern lagoon is predominantly coral, with a shallow base. Also, the reef is close to the shoreline. For beachfront accomm around Muri, I doubt you will find much in the $150 p.n. price range. But there are some studios available (if you are considering 2 person accomm), so it's a matter of searching far and wide.

If absolute beachfront is a priority, you would be better to look around the south-eastern side of Raro, or along the west and north-west. Both Muri Shell Bungalows and Flame Cottage offer very reasonably priced accommodation, and so very close to the shoreline in Muri.

The area where Rarotonga Retreat is situated offers wonderful whale watching and beachcombing. This part of the island is wind-swept, and has an abundance of coral in the lagoon. If swimming and snorkelling are a priority, the best areas for these activities are found from Muri in the east to Aroa in the south-west, and some spots located in Arorangi to Black Rock.

All the best with your search - kia manuia.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re beaches

Hi Sheri,

As usual, Frangipani08 is spot on! The beaches most affected by high/low tides are the shallow beaches in the north and north east, and Rutaki in the South West is quite rocky at low tide. if you stick to the Titikaveka, Muri, Vaimaanga or Aroa areas you will be fine. I like Bella Beach in particular, which is in Titikaveka.

Happy searching!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re beaches

Hi. We just had 10 days at Palm Grove. The snorkling was brilliant. It is self contained and on the best beach we found anywhere - I put a post on Palm Grove on here. Have fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re beaches

Hi,

I am also interested in the best place to stay where there is great snorkelling and the beaches are nice white sand. We will be visiting in July so not sure whether to stay at Palm Grove or the Sunset Resort. Is Palm Grove affected by the cool breezes? In terms of restaurants etc, which resort is better located?

Hope you can help.

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re beaches

Kia Orana

My vote would be for the Sunset Resort. You are within walking distance from a number of very good restaurants and holiday resorts that also have good restaurants. Check out the reviews for Arorangi.

Palm Grove is very nice and the lagoon is probably better for snorkling than in Arorangi (where the Sunset is loacted)- but the western side offers a little more variety for the more adventurous holidaymaker.

RBB

6. Re: Advice re beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 06:21