We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

criminal convictions

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
criminal convictions

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me.

Our family is travelling to Rarotonga next year for a 5 night holiday

One of my sons is 19 and has had a couple of criminal convictions, one for unlawfully being on a roof and one for not doing his PD on time.

I'm wanting to know if this is going to be a problem and is it likely that he could be sent home from the airport?

Stupid kids think it's all fun and games and now it's biting him in the bum !

thanks

frazz

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: criminal convictions

Hi frazzledfozzle

I don't know the answer, but this link may help. Scroll down to criminal convictions.

mfai.gov.ck/index.php/…visitors.html

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: criminal convictions

Kia Orana

Wow - just copied this from the website that nzlilibet suggested. Might pay to make contact with our Immigration department before buying any tickets.

If you have had any criminal convictions in any country, you must apply for permission to enter the Cook Islands via MFAI. A person with criminal convictions could be refused entry into Cook Islands if prior approval was not granted prior to entry.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. We have a MP that has a much more colourful past than your son...

RBB

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: criminal convictions

Thanks for your replies :)

I was wondering if anyone has just rocked up off the plane and been asked if they have any convictions?

I guess I'm thinking maybe just take potluck rather than putting it down on paper and hoping the person on the other end looks at it favourably.

I'm thinking with his mother, grandad, granny aunty's etc they would have to know that he's not a problem?

or maybe they wont:(

frazz

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
879 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: criminal convictions

I believe that there is a question on the arrivals form that asks if you have any convictions, it's not a matter of whether someone asks you, it's down in black and white.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: criminal convictions

OK thanks for that, makes it simple he has a choice of either applying for a visa before he goes or taking potluck at the airport.

I'm thinking applying for a visa before we go might be the wise thing to do :)

Thanks very much everyone who took the time to reply I really appreciate it.

frazz

6. Re: criminal convictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 05:19