We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

I was reading in the news that Jack Cooper of Trader Jacks is opening another restaurant, Bamboo Jacks an asian inspired restaurant. Is this reastaurant up and running yet?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

I read just the other day that it's due to open in June. Sure has taken a long time - rebuilding of the old Portofino was well underway when I was there last October.

Will be very interested to see the first reviews.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

I think it opens this week, it's looking pretty finished. Will check and get back!

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Knew I'd seen it somewhere. CI Herald issue 562 Chooks Corner.

"In June you may be eating an Asian delicacy surrounded by bamboo! Yes, that’s when the latest addition to local eateries opens! Bamboo Jacks! Don’t expect to see a Panda! Unless you’ve had one too many."

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Hi there, spoke to someone today, and the opening date is apparently the 6th June.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

That's good to know. I've requested that TA list it under Raro restaurants so it's there ready to accept reviews!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Hey guys, a little behind schedule, but it looks as though Bamboo Jacks opened yesterday. x

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

It's had its first review on this site and it's a good one. See page 2 of the restaurant reviews.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Awesome! Can't wait :D

Rarotonga, Cook...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

Had dinner tonight at Bamboo Jacks and I was not impressed with the size of the Puaka Tupapa kao kao. The menu said pork spare ribs.

What I got was may be 2 spare ribs cut in to 3inch bits. It looked like cheap off cuts.The meal does not come with any rice or noodles, just bits of pork ribs a sauce and sprinkle of spring onion.

We ordered 3 different mains and my meal was the most expensive at $22. When I spoke to the casher about my meal he just replied that "Pork is expensive" and to make it more filling I should have ordered rice or noodles. I should not have to make an already expensive meal filling. If you are gonna put pork spare ribs on the menu, put the whole ribs on the plate.

For my daughter I ordered the combination Egg Fu yung - this meal at $12 was filling with nice chunky sized prawns and chicken.

My partners meal was number 21 on the menu (forgotten the name) was $18. Nice full plate of food, very tasty.

Please Bamboo Jacks add more to your Puaka Tupapa Kao kao.

To the cashier who said pork is expensive - look around there are pigs everywhere! Very disapointed with the cashiers response to my complaint.He just made my meal and dining experience a disapointment.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 09:26
Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trader Jacks/ Bamboo Jacks

@ Rima B, it would probably be better to write a restaurant review, as this is the place that people will look for information like this.

Also, whilst I'm not denying that your meal may not have met expectations, Pork products carry a levy here, and are quite expensive. Unfortunately you can't just go and help yourself to someone elses pig, ha ha.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday though :)