We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions before our trip

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
christchurch
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some questions before our trip

My husband and I are about to head to Raro for a much deserved break (it’s not much fun living and working in an earthquake zone!) and have a couple of questions before we go.

1) Unfortunately due to the quake we had to change our travel plans and are now staying while low tide is in the middle of the day. I love to snorkel and would like to know if there are any snorkelling spots that aren’t affected by the tides. We are staying at Sunset Resort and I am keen to snorkel at Black Rock – is this affected by the tide? Also, how many hours either side of high tide can you snorkel?

2) I see from previous posts that it is a good idea to book your Aitutaki day trip once you arrive in Raro rather than before you leave. Do you get the best deal by going direct to Air Raro or should we go to one of the travel agents?

3) My husband and I love to play tennis and have seen on previous posts that there is a tennis court somewhere near the Sunset Resort. I can’t find it on the map or on Google earth. Is it nearby and can anyone gain access to it? I don’t really want the hassle of carting our tennis gear over if it’s a decent hike away and it’s for club members only.

Thanks – and I look forward to your replies.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions before our trip

The entire lagoon is affected by the tide. It is the ocean. I have snorkled in the lagoon at many different places without regard to the tide. It's not like the water dries up, it just gets a bit shallower.

If I recall correct, we got a great deal to Aitukaki in town and I believe it was with Island Hoppers. They had a special going and a sign on their front porch.

There are several tennis courts at The Edgewater, down the road to the right from the Sunset, just a short walk. Chuck...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions before our trip

We snorkel at all times of the day, all over the place with no regard for the tides at all. Like BlackBelt said, the water will just be a litle shallower, just swim a bit further out and you wouldn't know (the water tends to be clearer further out anyway).

Kapiti Coast, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions before our trip

One of the best snorkeling areas is south of Muri opposite a little cafe called "Fruits of Rarotonga" It is in the lagoon so sheltered most of the time. The boats taking tourists for snorkeling go to this area. The further out you go the more fish you will see. Throw some bread into the water and see what pops up.!!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions before our trip

We enjoy the snorkelling either side of the Rarotongan Hotel, Rutaki beach, and Kavera side, the fish are in and around the rocks quite shallow at low tide. There is a good course right at the Rarotongan's beach as well. j

Edited: 19 May 2011, 06:44
5. Re: Some questions before our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 20:07
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions before our trip

we have just come back from a family holiday and stayed at Sunset Resort.

At low tide it is shallow but you just have to snorkel between the rocks rather than being able to swim over the top of them.

We were glad we stayed on the west side of the island as during our entire stay the wind was really strong and snorkeling was hopeless in the more " desired" snorkeling spots such as fruits of Rarotonga and Rarotongan beach resort.

The fish life is plentiful but there is no coral or sponges or anything like that.

Frazz

Edited: 21 May 2011, 02:16
7. Re: Some questions before our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 06:19