We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

We are comming to Rarotonga shortly, and we had heard that car hire is cheeper as a walk in at the airport when we arrive, than pre booking on the net. I Would apreciate anyones feedback on this.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Halcor:

I doubt that car hire would be better as a walk in but possibly.

I do know that car hire pick up at the airport will first cost $2.00 to get out of the parking lot.

And second, well, there can be a charge for dropping/pick up to/from the airport for arrival and departure. I believe that this is around $30.00 each.

In addition to these charges, three, there will be a charge of $2.00 to $5.00 depending on the renter's policy for a temporary driver license, good for one day, I believe. This gets you from the airport to the police station with a bit of time allowance thrown in.

Four, If you get a car by walk in, you could face a transfer charge to/from the airport to get to town or where ever you are going. I think this would be around $30.00 or $35.00 per person and you will still need to buy a temporary driver's license at the police station to drive in the Cooks which ever route you choose.

So as a traveler you can expect to pay either way. Part of travel.

Try writing to the car rental agencies with your questions for the most accurate answers.

Woodie

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Kia Orana Halcor,

Avis charge an extra $25 for an airport pickup, so I doubt you'll get a car cheaper

http://www.avis.co.ck/qa.htm

Pakou

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

When we went - with Island Car Hire we got a much cheaper rate by booking on the internet before we arrived

Regards

Suzi

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

We booked with "Island Car Hire" 12 months ago on the net ( we pickup our chariot in 12 days & received a $39.00 discount - don't know why we received a discount, but not about to question it). We are being charged $20 for pickup from the airport - but this is less than an airport transfer, so no complaints.

Last year we hired an 8 seater van from them - it was crap, but it worked & served us well (most of the time). At the end of the day - this is Rarotonga - if you're going to complain, either don't go there in the first place or don't return.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

Hi

I agree with others that it's cheaper to book in advance. I would very much doubt anyway that the hire companies hold cars at the airport for 'fly ins' unlike, say, Brisbane.

As for petrol - Island Cars seem to have petrol in tanks 'as is'. Sometimes empty, some half full. Return the same way - which can be a bit difficult to calculate. A car we picked up at the airport was terrible, but they were happy to change it for a more reasonable one when we popped in to see them and asked nicely.

Avis and Budget seem to operate on a full tank out, full tank return. The car we rented from Avis last year was probably the best we rented, but it could have been luck and they are not cheap.

Budget varies. Some were good, some not. On one trip the brakes failed. We were lucky to be in Avarua (very busy on market day) but managed to turn it down the road and into Budget before it stalled with smoke pouring out of it. It was funny in retrospect as all they were interested in was 'have you filled it up with petrol' rather than 'sorry, are you ok?'

All 3 companies charge for airport pick-up and drop-off. Avis did provide a voucher for airport parking.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We have booked Island car hire on the web and are looking forward to our holiday. We were a bit confused by the negativity of one of the posts. We were not complaining, just asking a simple question. Thanks again to everyone.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

Sorry Halcor, I really didn't mean to appear negative & certainly wasn't directing any criticism at you.

By my comment about complaining - I meant WE saw no reason to complain about our vehicle, it got us where we wanted to go. I can see my post doesn't read that way.

Please accept my apology if I've inadvertently offended you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

No worries , all good. Thanks for giving us some good info.

9. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations