We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

Scarborough...
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are hoping to get married on a lovely beach in Rarotonga next year... trouble is, even after reading so many reviews and seeing so many pictures - I still don't know which one!

For all those who have been to Rarotonga recently, which beach is the best and why? At the same time, which is the worst beach and why? I know there are MANY views out there so speak up! Any and every opinion will help!

To start off the debate - although I haven't been to Rarotonga - Muri beach looks fab! The lagoon looks crystal blue and the sand looks perfect pure white...

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

You're wrong about Muri, sorry. It may look nice - but .......

Have a look at this link.

http://www.ciherald.co.ck/articles/h584f.htm

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

Droplet: Accordong to your post, you probably have all the information you need to make a decision. "Best" and "worst" are all subjective, and all you will get by posting is more confusion. Just re-gather your data and make a decision. If you want to know more about getting married on Raro, there is TONS of information here. Use the search feature. Also go to the top/right of this page and expand: "More about Rarotonga". There is a link for weddings and beaches. Chuck...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

That article is rather concerning nzlilibet - thanks for posting. I knew that Muri lagoon had pollution issues but I am thinking twice about swimming here at all now which is a little sad as we're staying at the Pacific Resort.

Where would you suggest would be best for swimming on the island?

Thanks!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

We loved aroa beach just beside the rarotongan heading towards Muri. Deep enough. Great snorkeling. Going back again next year!!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
889 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

Papaaroa Beach in Titikaveka across from the Seventh Day Adventist Church is good but not deep, beach is soft and water is clean. Out closer to the reef has lots of fish to see when snorkeling.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

Hi, we are getting married there in a few weeks and we are getting married outside our villas at Titikaveka...it just looks stunning there and everyone I have spoken to agrees. Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

We were lucky enough to see the beautiful wedding of the people who were staying in the villa next to ours on Titikaveka beach - it was gorgeous. Beautiful photographs both in and out of the water, plenty of palm trees, endless stretches of sand and barely anyone around.

On a visit to Muri one day we also observed a wedding. Plenty of people around watching (not guests), streches of beach interrupted with flags advertising kayaks for hire, music coming from the lagoon tour boats. Depends on what you're looking for, but if it's private and romantic that you're seeking, I'd suggest Titikaveka anyday for a wedding.

The swimming here is also wonderful, heaps of fish!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

We got married on the beach in front of the Little Polynesian in Titikaveka and it was perfect! Happily recommend that area.

Enjoy!

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

The beach in front of the Little Polynesian is wonderful. The water fantastic. Snorkeling great between this point and the Moana Sands Hotel.

Edited: 12 October 2011, 01:22
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best and worst beaches in Rarotonga

There are problems all round the island, though some places are worse than others. See this article from a few months back.

…cookislandsnews.com/2011/…1105310110

I've certainly seen things get worse in the Tikioki/Titikaveka area over the years and will probably go somewhere else next time. You'll note that both Tikioki and Kent Hall are mentioned in the article.

So where would I go next? Haven't decided, but probably in the Aroa area.

At least now - after so many years of trying to ignore it - the problem is accepted. Now to the long process of fixing it.