We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol on the beach

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol on the beach

Hi all

Quick question: Are you allowed to drink alcohol on the beaches in Raro?

Just wondering whether I can take a glass of wine with me to sit on the waters edge and watch the sunset/sunrise?

Orchards, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol on the beach

We have done it many times. The thing is to not get wild or obnoxious or out of control or anything like that. Be responsible and you'll be fine.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Thanks hirohito2.

Pleased to hear I should be able to do this. Dont intend to get wild, just want to have a quiet glass of wine.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Hi

Lots of people have a quiet drink at sunset as hirohito says.

Don't know about sunrise though. I usually enjoy sunrise with a quiet cup of tea!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Hi Pumba,

If you plan on taking alcohol anywhere near a beach (public area) you are best to consume this discretely on a quiet spot immediately in front of your accommodation. The police have more recently cracked down on people drinking alcohol on the beaches, but also on sports parks/reserve areas that havent already applied for a special liquor licence surrounding an organised function. This action is in line with general social policies and regulations that the police are endorsing/tightening up on.

Kia manuia.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 17:25
Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Lots of people have quiet drinks at sunrise - the problem is they are still there from having quiet drinks at sunset!!

RBB

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol on the beach

And some others wake to find themselves in less than salubrious surroundings where I hear that the architect took shortcuts on both the design and decor.

Orchards, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Another thing to know (in reference to Frangipani's post)is that the police are very understanding and kind. You will not get thrown in jail of get a fine. The first(and hopefully last)time you are contacted by them, you will just be talked to and explained the situation.

8. Re: Alcohol on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 04:05
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol on the beach

Wow, Frangipani. You're beginning to sound like you're wanting to stop visitors to Raro and, maybe, send them elsewhere.

The OP talked about a 'quiet' glass of wine on the beach.

Last time I was in Raro was at the time of the Rugby Sevens competition. Never again. It was the only time we were woken before dawn by very drunk and very loud revellers on the beach. And I think most were locals.

10. Re: Alcohol on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 04:36