We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs through customs

Sydney
1 post
Save Topic
Souvenirs through customs

I wondered if somebody (perhaps a fellow Aussie who has travelled to the Cook Is) could answer a question for me.

I am hoping to pick up a few souvenirs of my trip when I am in the Cook Is, but as I havent travelled before, I do not know what customs will let me bring back into Australia.

From reading these forums it seems that common souvenirs might be perfumes, wood carvings, carved shells, pearls, woven baskets, coconut products.

Would customs in Sydney give me any trouble over any of these items? Any words of advice from anyone else who has been caught out at customs.

I will declare everything, so that is not the issue.

Thank you

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs through customs

Pack all your souvenirs in the one bag so that they're easily accessible because chances are Sydney customs will check everything. The perfumes & the pearls will be fine, the woven & wooden stuff they look at closely & usually shake it over a white sheet of paper, checking for any bugs. The shells you may have a problem with.

I've brought souvenirs into Sydney before & haven't had a problem other than the inconvenience. (See my post under "Tikis & Tiki Mugs").

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs through customs

Ah - I am glad somebody posted about this as I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the advice Fernsie.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs through customs

Being a frequent traveler to the Cook's from Brisbane, there are a few hints we can give you. Any kind of timber product will need to be declaired to customs on your return to Australia( Carving/Ukalele ect). Also, the nut Lei's or Kukui Nut Leis are a no no as far as Customs goes. They did let us keep ours, but we had to pay to have them irradiated.Usually you should be fine, but better to declair all these products, rather than be caught with contrabank and face a fine. Shells are usually ok , as long as there is nothing in them(like a stowaway hermit crab ect). Don't do what my wife did, and try to bring back a small vial of sand - not cool, and Customs will have it. Any Fruit or food, is just not on. Hope this helps.

4. Re: Souvenirs through customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga