We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side of the island to stay on?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Which side of the island to stay on?

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Rarotonga in August and I am a little confused on what the best side of the island is. When I say best I mean nicest swimming beaches, least windy, most sheltered, best sunsets.

I have heard that the beach that Moana Sands and Little Poly are situated on is great?

We would prefer adults only accommodation under $400 per night so any suggestions on that appreciated too.

Thanks.

PS, no suggestions on Aitutaki thanks, I know it's gorgeous but I don't do little planes...

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

Sunsets are only on the West side. Muri lagoon is on the East side. The South/west side around Fruits of Rarotonga is great swimming and snorkeling. You will not find one place that fits all your requirements.

Most all the beaches a great for something or another. About the only part of the island that does not have great/good beaches is the north. Off hand it sounds like you will like the West side best

There are many adult accomodations at or under $400/night. I suggest that you take a look at the top of this page, a green horizontal stripe, and click on "Hotels". That will give you prices and reviews of the islands hotels.

We really like the Sunset Resort www.thesunsetresort.com Good Luck. Chuck...

Mentioned in this post
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

Hi sunny

Chuck is quite right that sunsets are on the west side! It is also the most sheltered.

We prefer the south side as it's the quietest part of the island and, in our opinion, has the best swimming. That's where the Little Poly (child free) and Moana Sands are located. Fruits of Rarotonga which Chuck mentions as being good for snorkelling, is just up the road. There are a couple of other small accommodation groups along that stretch which are not actually resorts. However, it can get windy along that stretch.

Vaimaanga, a little further along the south coast, also has very good swimming and snorkelling but is not quite as deserted.

Muri, on the east, is the most built-up and not, in our view, very good for swimming. It does, however, get the sunrises. It can also get windy at times as can Vaimaanga.

You'll find everyone has their own special favourite spots.

If you mean this August, you'll need to hurry as it's high season as this time of year. But you might be lucky and get some last minute specials.

I understand your feelings about small planes. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Vaimaanga
Vaimaanga
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,321 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

Kia Orana sunnynz1, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Given your preferences I suggest you look at either Sunhaven Villas or Aroa Beachside Inn on the south-western corner of Rarotonga. Both share a delightful lagoon area in an idyllic setting with glorious sunsets. Both are adults-only properties set within a very nice locality. Both Sunhaven and Aroa Beachside should meet your price-range.

Sunhaven has its onsite brunch cafe, while Aroa has a beach bar serving light meals, drinks and has weekly theme nights with live entertainment. Highland Paradise cultural village is located directly inland from both for an island night and show. Approximately 1.2 kms east of Sunhaven and the Aroa Beachside is the Aroa marine reserve which has excellent swimming and snorkelling.

Sunset Resort is a larger sized resort situated in the NW corner of the island, with nicely presented grounds and accommodation. Licenced restaurant onsite, and a pool-side bar. Handy to alternative dining as well as being a short distance from town.

Ive just looked at www.wotif.com which lists Sunhaven and is showing some vacancies during August, so if you can book fairly soon you should be OK.

Enjoy your winter break. Kia manuia.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

Hi again sunny

Have sent you a PM.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

I would highly recommend checking out Sea Change Villas. The rooms are amazing and they all come with private plunge pools. They far exceeded our expectations. We drove all over the island to check out as many beaches as possible and liked that we weren't staying right on Muri in our little sleepy area of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
6. Re: Which side of the island to stay on?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 06:15