We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Searched and didn't find much info on this.

Anybody know the difference between the beachfront studio and Matenga beachfront units at Palm Grove? I've read the Matenga ones are newer. Why are the studios NZ$30 more than the Matenga? They seem very similarly located.

On the topic of Palm Grove, is there walkable alternate dining from that location?

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

While I've not been inside either, the original beachfront units appear to have a bit more character than the new Matenga units. That's the only difference as far as I can see. Just returned from a stay in the large private rental house nestled between the 2 sets of beachfront units.

For dining, the Viama restaurant is a short walk to the west. Not been there, but it has a fiarly good reputation.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Vaima is a great restaurant....enjoyed myself there several times....

as Lord says I think there's not alot of difference between the two except newer.....some people think the units closer to the road are a bit noisy with the traffic at night.

sunny regards,

shully

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Hey Shully,

Yeah, several folks have remarked that they had some road noise at some of the units at the Palm Grove (probably those closer to the slight bend in the road - by the bridge), but I noted that one of the units at Sea Change was much closer to the road than the nearest Palm Grove unit (probably half the distance as those at the Palm Grove). Ever hear anyone comment on the noise there? Maybe they're better insulated or something.

Ken

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

So the road is between the beach front units and the garden units? Seems the private home you rented, LB, is right in the middle of that resort. By road noise I presume you're talking occasional traffic, and not constant noise and probably not much at night?

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Oops. And looking at the map on PG web site, I can't see a bridge. Which side is this bend and bridge? East (Matenga) or west (older units)?

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

DCA -

Yeah we stayed in the house marked "Private Home" on the Palm Grove website property map:

(www.palmgrove.net/Pages/PropertyPage.html).

Though it does not show on the map, there is a smalll stream to the right (west) of the home. Technically it's not really a bridge as the water flows through a pipe under the road, but there are metal guards alongside the road at that spot. There is also a small bend in the road, nothing truly significant, but enough to result in a few tapped breaks. Even from our house we heard an occasional vehicle (not that the map is not really to scale and the house is further from the road than most of the Palm Grove units. The main thing to remember though is that traffic is generally pretty light in the area (especially at night). It was more than on our last visit 4 years ago, but still pretty light.

Ken

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Thanks, Ken.

Looking forward to reading your full trip report when posted.

-Paul

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Grove - difference in beachfront units

Hi Lord:

Never have had any complaints of road noise at the Sea Change...they are new units so, as you say, I suspect the walls are better insulated.

Have had many people complain of road noise at the Palm Grove though. Even at night...I guess some are light sleepers!

sunny regards,

shully