We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money in Rarotonga

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Umina Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Money in Rarotonga

hi we are visiting Rarotonga in January for 2 weeks should we exchange our money for NZ dollars before we come we do have a debit mastercard should we put all our money in this account?? Can we use normal eftpos like we do here in Australia?? If someone could let me know I would be greatful for any tips.

Thanks

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money in Rarotonga

Hi kerry

Just a partial answer.

You can't use eftpos cards for purchases like you can in Australia.

You can, however, use them to withdraw NZ cash from the ATM machines. Both ANZ and Westpac operate in Raro. Transaction charges can be high, but if you are a Westpac customer using Westpac ATMs then the transaction charge will not apply.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money in Rarotonga

kerry,

We take NZ $'s with us, we find that Australia Post gives a fairly good exchange rate & doesn't charge any fees.

We use cash for everyday purchases & also use a visa debit card for restaurants etc.

Works for us.

Vancouver...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money in Rarotonga

We, also, use NZ$ as often as possible. Many places will charge a surcharge to use a credit or debit card.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money in Rarotonga

When we were there in May we only came across a couple of restaurants that imposed a surcharge. Shops were happy to accept credit cards but some required a minimum spend which was fair enough.

Like NZ, it is uncommon (so far) for these surcharges to happen. Long may it last! I am talking about Visa and MC as Amex is rarely accepted in Raro in my experience.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money in Rarotonga

In September/October, I can't recall being told that a surcharge was going to be applied when using our visa card - what we weren't told & what happened may have been 2 different things. Oh, well, if that was the case, it was our loss, we helped the CI economy. I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money in Rarotonga

Most but not all US Visa and Mastercards have a surcharge of up to 3% for non-US transactions. A royal rip-off if there ever was one.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money in Rarotonga

I believe what Fernsie was referring to is that some local businesses charge a surcharge for paying by credit card. I know of at least one business on Aitutaki that does this.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money in Rarotonga

Thanks Puapii, that's exactly what I meant.

Sausca, the 3% to which you refer is the charge by your bank back home - I agree a rip off.

As I said previously, we use both cash & visa card, which is a debit card that we've loaded with cash & we're happy to pay a surcharge to the local business if necessary. We look upon it as, cash we haven't had to convert to local currency & haven't had to carry on us, therefore not posing a security risk.

9. Re: Money in Rarotonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:16