We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

we are going to spend 2 weeks in Aitutaki(self contained)and 1 week in Rarotonga(resort-just room),so wander how to organise food.Is it worth it and am I allowed to bring something like packed goods(coffee, tea...)from Australia,stop over in Auckland?

appreciate reply

thank you

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

Kia Orana Ursula, There have been several threads about bring food with you. You might want to scroll through and take a look at some of them. The only problem you will have with bring in food is with fresh fruits and vegetables - not allowed. Everything else is pretty much OK. However, it's not necessary as the stores in Raro are well stocked. Aitutaki not quite as much but there is still plenty here. Unless there is some food item you absolutely can't do without - travel light.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

HELLO Puapii-teacher

thank you for respond.

The reason why I asked about food is that we are on pretty tight budget,and heard that product in CI are expensive,as everything is imported. otherwise we could leave without favourite staff,holiday is about exploring, not only country but also food, culture etc.

will look through earlier posts

thanks again

Rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

Ursula, I would pack a few of your favourite items that you can't do without, make sure they are all sealed packaged items. We always carry a packet of those pre-mix coffees, other people might buy their fav coffee or tea brew, cereal, crackers or biscuits, let the customs know you have some sealed packaged grocery items they usually don't mind.

Supermarkets on Rarotonga, are well stocked with familiar NZ & Australian foods. Prices are sligthly more expensive than here or Brisbane but certainly not too bad even on a budget. Mixers like lemonade and coke are expensive though!

I hope that helps.

4. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 20:05
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
785 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

Tracey This is a travel forum - advertising is not permitted.

6. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 23:11
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

Hi Ursula

Really depends on your order of travel. Are you going to Aitutaki first or Rarotonga first. You really do need to take some food to Aitutaki as it can be limited especially if a ship has not been in for a while. If you are in Rarotonga first I would do all your shopping there. I seriously did not find it much more expensive when compared to what I pay in Australia and also you are paying in $NZ so get better value.

If you are flying through NZ do not buy your duty free in Australia as it will be confiscated in NZ even though you are in transit. Buy any duty free in NZ or in the Cook Islands on arrival

Regards

Suzi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

I agree with previous posters. Prices in the Cooks are similar to Australia so only take what you really must from home. There's much more on offer in Raro than Aitutaki but if you go to Aitutaki second you can stock up in Raro.

Note however that the Aussie dollar has dropped recently against the NZD and with conversion fees etc it's pretty much 1 for 1 at the moment.

9. Re: self catering in Raro and Aitutaki

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37