We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

My husband and I visiting Cook Islands for the first time in October. Can't decide out of Pacific Resort - hoping for beachfront bungalow or Te Maneva? I know there is a price difference and Te Maneva is self-catering. Really don't mind that, just want somewhere quite and beautiful beach, close to restaurants although will probably hire a scooter. Can anyone help me with this decision please?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,314 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

Kia Orana Sunlover,

From the 2 properties you have identified I canadvise the following:-

1. Pacific Resort is set down on the middle of Muri beach, so it does become busy at times with the various lagoon activities taking place alongside the resort. The outlook is beautiful. The spacious stand alone villas are set to the side of the resort, with the villa nearest the beachfront having the best views of the 3 villas. Alternatively, there are beachfront apartments (in a block) facing directly into the lagoon. A number of beachstrollers pass by this property due to its commanding position. There are several dining options either onsite or very nearby inthis locality.

2. Te Manava is set down at the southern end of Muri, in a much quieter locality called Maai. It enjoys a lovely aspect, looking across the lagoon to Taakoka motu. Except the lagoon is shallower in this spot compared to the heart of Muri where Pacific Resort is situated. Also there are large volcanic boulders both in the lagoon and on the beach area, which to me adds real character to the locality.

All the villas at Te Manava are beautiful and well appointed. Each villa has an individual floorplan and layout depending on the space you seek. There is a short distance to the nearest restaurant, with the licenced cafe at Muri Beach Resort being the nearest to Te Manava at present. Te Manava has a charge-back facility with the Pacific Resort. Tikioki marine reserve is a short distance away, and you can walk the beachfront easily at low/mid tide.

Have you considered other properties around the SE side of the island, or would you prefer to stay at either Pacific Resort or Te Manava? I like both properties for different reasons, but my personal pick would be Te Manava due to its quiet location and more open lagoon aspect.

Kia manuia.

Wanganui...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

I have arrived back from 11 nights in Te Manava this morning with two of my close friends. Totally amazing, very quiet with your own private pool. We looked around most resorts while we were there, and while price is something to be considered, we were so pleased to have made the decision to stay at Te Manava. We were wanting a peaceful relaxing holiday with lots of switch off time, with the opportunity to do the touristy things when we wanted, Te Manava delivered all of this, the concierge will book all of your tours/excursions. There is a choice of rental vehicle companies very close, and about a 15 min drive to Avarua for suprmarkets, but loads of little convenience stores dotted around to grab necessities. One of my friends has already rebooked for Nov to take her husband back!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

Thank you so much Frangipani for your reply and advice. Unfortunately we are running out of time to decide. Which other properties would you have suggested please?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

Angelique, thanks for your reply. It does look like an amazing place to stay and I think we will book it.

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

I have seen both properties and they are completely different. If you want a resort go to Pacific Resort. If you want a condo go to Te Maneva. Since they are so different, it should be an easy choice.

Southwest Desert
Level Contributor
130 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

I should have added that the two inside units at Ta Maneva are like luxury jail cells with no views. I would avoid them under all circumstances.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

Thanks for your reply, noted re jail cells! Will request beach views if we book here

8. Re: Pacific Resort Rarotonga or Te Maneva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:17