We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

For many years it has been necessary to obtain a Cook Islands’ Driver’s licence to drive a vehicle, although many people seem not to know this.

Until now, you had to take your current licence from your country of residence to the police station, pay a fee (last I heard $20 on Raro and $5 on Aitutaki) and fill out a form (take your own pen).

On Raro your photo is then taken and a local driver’s licence is yours after paying the fee. On Aitutaki, the licence is a sheet of paper, but wherever issued the licence entitles you to drive anywhere in the Cook Islands. The process doesn't take long if there are no queues.

If you are intending to hire a scooter and do not have an overseas licence to drive one, you will be asked for your overseas licence and will then have to pass a short practical test before being issued with the licence.

But we are now informed that the situation has changed. Although you could not have entered Rarotonga on holiday without a valid passport to prove your identity, you now also have to show it at the police station. The fact that you may have a driver’s licence with your photo and date of birth which acts anywhere else as a satisfactory form of ID means nothing in the Cooks.

So now you need to take your overseas driver’s licence, your passport and, of course, a pen. Then the process happens as above. Even if you already hold a Cooks Islands licence and are wanting to renew it you still have to present your passport.

See earlier discussion on this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309713-i2628-k644…

It is interesting to note that Cook Islanders can drive on their local licence in NZ and elsewhere, but the reverse does not apply.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 00:02
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

Unless it has gone up since I last bought mine, the Aitutaki license is $2.50NZ a year. You can get one for five years for $10.00 or 10 years for $20.00

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

A real bargain!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

Maximum term for an outer islands driver's licence (includes Aitutaki) is 5 years for $10.00. There is no 10 year term for an outer islands licence.

For Rarotonga only, a one year licence is $20.00, 5 years is $60.00 and 10 years is $100.00.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

For the same license - a Cook Island license - why the rip off on Rarotonga? Surely it should be the same price wherever you are seeing it can be used anywhere in the Cook islands. Seems like opportunism or gauging by the Rarotongan authorities to me

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

The license on Rarotonga is a laminated picture ID where as the one on Aitutaki is simply a piece of paper.

And sorry to disagree Frangipani but one can buy a 10 year license on Aitutaki. I don't know about the other outer islands.

6. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 11:44
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

The 5 year license here is $60.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

The last time I renewed my license in Raro, the laminating machine was out of action, I was given a paper license & still charged the $20.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

So all of this supports the idea of going to Aitutaki first for a visit and to pick up your Cook Islands driver's license there which is valid for the entire country.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drivers' Licences - Be aware of new regulations

Touche - Puapii-teacher!