We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

auckland
Level Contributor
52 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

We are going to raro for five days in October. We were originally going to hire scooters to get around as it seemed like the thing to do.

We are staying at club raro and the transfers from the airport are $30 per person per way, which seemed a lil expensive as they are located only 2.5km away from the airport.

I worked out it is. $20 cheaper to hire a car that we pick up from the airport and have for the five days than it is to hire two scooters for five days and pay the transfers to and from club raro.

I'm just wanting o check whether there is any advantage to having a scooter over a car as from what I've read lots of ppl hire scooters.

We know club raro doesn't have a nice sandy beach so we will be travelling a bit checking out the other nice beaches as just exploring the island in general.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

Hi saraandray

Do a search on the forum and you will see there is overwhelming support for a car hire versus scooter rental unless you are an experienced motor bike rider. There have been lots of awful accidents to novice scooter riders with falling coconuts, poor roads and dogs that run out on the road

Go the car - relax and be safe. Get a convertible for the wind in your hair feeling

Regards

Suzi

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,580 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

Currently there are lots of visitors using scooters, and this form of transport is likely to remain as popular as ever due to ease of motoring and affordability. Many scooters are automatic. If you are contemplating hiring a scooter, safety helmets can also be hired from the rental companies.

Falling coconuts affecting scooter riders is nowhere near an issue, in the same way that numerous dents arise on vehicle body-work from leaving cars parked under coconut trees.

Happy motoring!

Auckland, Auckland...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

We always hire a car in Rarotonga, good when you are going out and there is a bit of a downpour and if you have a/c you stay nice & cool. As above be careful not to park under coconut trees.

Scooters are fun but I have crashed a scooter (slid in the gravel) on holiday before (not Raro) and limped around with gravel rash on my legs for the rest of the time, spoilt the holiday a bit, it was only a minor injury but uncomfortable. I think people hire scooters because they are cheaper & the wind in your hair as you don't have to wear a helmet.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

Hi

The subject of scooter vs car hire always causes 'robust debate' on the forum.

If you still thinking of airport transfers then these people are cheaper than Club Raro and are reputable. There are others, of course.

http://www.rarotours.co.ck/

But it sounds to me as though you've found out that it's as cheap to hire a car and I think this is the better option. It's obviously safer to have four wheels and inexperienced drivers have accidents like Adele describes above and, unfortunately, some are much much worse.

For anyone looking to hire a scooter I would strongly recommend checking the small print of your travel insurance policy. Many exclude dangerous activities and that sometimes includes riding a motorbike or scooter if you don't already hold a licence in your own country. You wouldn't want to have a bad accident and not be covered for medevac to your home country.

Obviously the ability to pick up a car at the airport is a big plus in its favour. Plus you're not going to get wet if it does rain. Your belongings will also be a lot safer if locked out of sight in a boot rather than in the small containers in a scooter which are often robbed I understand.

If you do decide on a car, the rental company will provide you with a temporary licence (as you probably already know) to tide you over until you get to the police station. Remember to take your home licence, your passport (a new requirement) and a pen.

Let us know what you decide.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 00:06
auckland
Level Contributor
52 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

Hey Guys, thanks so much for your help. We have decided to go for a car (convertible) for the whole trip. We will look at booking a couple of scooters one day while we are over there just to have a run about on them and will give us something to do one afternoon.

Overal I think a car will suit our needs a lot better.

Thanks again for all the help.

6. Re: Car vs Scooter hire while in Raro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga