We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Can anyone tell me what is the best location for snorkeling close to the Edgewater Resort? I would love to see colourful coral along with fish. We will be there in January. I would like to do lots of shore snorkeling but would also plan for 1 or more boat excursions if you have any to recommend.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Kia Orana Banditoo, welcome to the forum.

There is a marine reserve in the lagoon alongside the Edgewater. This would be a good place to start your interest. The Aroa marine reserve situated alongside the Rarotongan Resort offers good snorkelling close to shore. Tikioki marine reserve is located in the SE corner of the island, near Fruits of Rarotonga.

Koka Lagoon Cruises take their guests to the outer area of the Tikioki marine reserve which has been in place for 10+ years. Capt Tama's also take their guests to the same spot. Both cruises use motu Koromiri for their lunch stop. Check the TA reviews for feedback - tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g309713-Activiti…

Happy planning. Kia manuia.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 19:03
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Thanks so much Frangiapani. The reviews for both those cruise companies look very positive and the pictures and videos seem to indicate they are very similar though Capt. Tama's is a bit less money and seems to be a bit longer. I will check for further info comparing both. I like the idea of longer for less money as long as the product and experience is comparable. I will likely also make my way around to many of the island beaches for a variety of snorkeling experiences.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Another question. Is there a particular snorkeling location that is known for a great variety and colour of coral?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Our lagoon areas have been impacted over more recent years by development and storm damage. The local marine conservation system of having Raui (customary marine protection) at sites including Arorangi (Edgewater Resort), Aroa, Black-Rock, Tikioki to name some of the areas, offer you the best opportunity for seeing healthier coral growth.

The outer part of the Raui areas, particularly near the reefline in Tikioki would be one of the best places to experience live coral and fishlife on Rarotonga. But also look at Aroa where the Rarotongan Resort is situated, and Black Rock 1km north of the Edgewater Resort. Koka Lagoon Cruises are actively involved in a coral restoration program for the Tikioki marine reserve.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

Wonderful to hear that conservation efforts are going on.

6. Re: Best snorkeling location close to Edgewater Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:18