We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain biking tracks

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane...
2 posts
Save Topic
Mountain biking tracks

we are heading to Raro in August this year and my husband is a very experienced mountain biker. Are there any really good tracks that we can follow and how would I find out where they are and if they are safe. Cheers Jannine.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain biking tracks

Kia Orana Jannine, welcome to the forum.

There aren't any dedicated tracks as such at present. There are tourism plans for these to be developed in the future, which won't help you meantime.

I suggest some of the side roads and valley roads, but also the back road in Arorangi through to Vaimaanga. These are rough in parts and with potholes to boot. Same for the back road from Avana through to Avarua. Except there are other vehicles using the same roads, and the width narrows in numerous spots. The road up to the Papua waterfall (k/as Wigmore's waterfall) in Vaimaanga may be a useful trail.

There is a motorx track up behind Nikao (rear of airport). I don't know how often it gets used by trail bikes though. The staff at Tourism office may know this information.

All the best. Kia manuia.

Brisbane...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain biking tracks

Hi there,

Thank you so much for that detailed info. I really appreciate it. Just one last question; we are coming from Brisbane were it's always hot. Just wanted to know what the weather is like this time of year. Is it humid or dry heat?

Regards

Jannine

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain biking tracks

Hi Jannine,

Tropic of Capricorn/ Rockhampton type weather. I just talked to my sister in Brisbane today and she said you have had a very warm winter. Raro doesn't get the low overnight temps that Brisbane does during the winter months.

Hope this helps.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain biking tracks

This morning the weather is clear, and looks set for a fine day. Chilly overnight temps, but warm days. Interesting thing with our current weather pattern. Summer was dry and not so humid, whereas we've had a lot more precipitation over winter, and several windy days. Bring a light shower jacket & something warm to thrown on, if you have luggage space.

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain biking tracks

Best tip I can give at the moment is book any activity that is weather dependent early on during your stay. We seem to be getting several calm sunny days, followed by several windy raining and then the cycle goes round again. Talking to the guys at the harbour I hear the weather the past few weeks has meant many cancelled fishing trips. As Frangipani says, today is sunny and clear - yay!

Pakou

6. Re: Mountain biking tracks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 07:17