We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good birthday restaurant

Sportskid1
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good birthday restaurant

While in Raratonga it will be my wifes brithday and I was looking for a nice place for dinner. Currently thinking the Tamarind House but I was wondering if anyone had any other recommandations. Neither of us are pickey eaters but we just want a nice place with great food. 6 day and counting. Can't wait.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good birthday restaurant

The Tamarind House certainly gets my vote. I think it would be a perfect place to celebrate a birthday. Be sure to let Sue Caruthers, the owner, know it's a special occasion

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good birthday restaurant

Hiya

Just as another option...we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere at kikau hut. the staff were amazing and so welcoming. Not sure where u are staying but if you are anywhere nearby i'd recommend giving it a try :) hope u have a fantastic holiday.

3. Re: Good birthday restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 19:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good birthday restaurant

The Flame Tree is very nice. We plan to go to Tamarind House next time we are there.

Mentioned in this post
Flame Tree
Flame Tree
270 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good birthday restaurant

Hi

There are some places with good food and others with a beautiful setting.

But for a combination of both, I think Tamarind would be your best bet.

Otherwise have a look at the Sands Restaurant at Moana Sands in Titikaveka. I know the food is good, but since I was there last year the restaurant has moved to the seaward side on the beach so should combine food and setting.

Have a great holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Titikaveka
Titikaveka
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
889 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good birthday restaurant

We went to Vaima last night for dinner! Awesome setting and food! Would be very nice for a birthday. Tamarind is also wonderful and very consistent.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,315 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good birthday restaurant

Another vote for Tamarind House for a birthday celebration. Enjoy your dinner occassion.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good birthday restaurant

Tamrind house also for me! Ask for a table at the front of the verandah.

Vaima is also good with great food and on the beach but the outlook is not quite as pretty as Tamarind. They do take you home at the end of the evening at Vaima which is a bonus if you have a few drinks.

Whichever one you choose will be fantastic - your wife will just have to have two celebration dinners and go to both!

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good birthday restaurant

My vote is for Tamarind House. Great food, wonderful location, good service & food just perfect. By Raro standards - very classy.

Le Bon Vivant - the restaurant in Avarua -( not to be confused with the café in Muri) is definitely worth a look. On our last visit we found the food & service to be absolutely faultless.

We have dined at Vaima a few times & on each occasion we found the food to be good but have had bad experiences with the service on all occasions. Just my opinion, but I feel people get carried away with their reviews of Vaima because they get to sit & eat on the beach with sand between their toes & candle light.

A favourite of ours was Touro at Black Rock but I believe it has been recently sold - does anyone have any news on a recent dining experience there?

Mentioned in this post
Avarua
Avarua
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Muri
Muri
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Sportskid1
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Good birthday restaurant

Thanks for all the great advice. I think the winner is the Tamarind House as everyone seems to think it is a great place. Do we need reservations? What is the best time to eat to get the best views?

We will have to look into some of the other places as well while we are there. I was also looking at the Sands Restaurant which is right around the Sea Change Villas where we are staying. Might be a good place when we don't want to venture out to far for dinner.