We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport taxis

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Topic
Airport taxis

Are taxis generally available to meet incoming flights? What is the approx cost of a taxi to the southern beach end? Thanks for any help you can give.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,585 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport taxis

Kia Orana Marcus and Wendy, welcome to the forum.

Taxis aren't usually waiting for passengers, unless they are pre-booked. Many visitors to Rarotonga have pre-arranged shuttle transfers waiting. Otherwise pre-booked rental car with airport pickup are another transport option. If there are taxis sitting at the rank, it's probably because they are pre-booked. But one of the drivers will be willing to phone for a backup if you require a taxi.

The cost of taxis is zoned, according to areas. I think the price rises in incremental steps with a minimum fee of $10.00. This will get you from the airport to Avarua basically. There may be a higher charge for arrivals after midnight, I'm not sure - being only a daytime passenger in recent times.

If you require a taxi service, most of the taxi cabs belong to a federation with metered charges. There are a number of localities along the southern side of Rarotonga. From Kavera in the SW to Maai in the SE. Depends on which locality/address you are booked to stay

Alternatively you can book a shuttle pickup with Raro Tours, Cook Islands Tours or Tiare Transport. A few accommodators still offer a personal guest meet-greet, or a chaffeured pick-up. Check with your accommodator what they suggest. I can provide taxi information, depending on where you are staying to suggest a nearby taxi operator domiciled around that locality if you require?

If you are on the direct Sydney - Raro flight and are confident about driving a rental after a long flight on a Sturday morning, this may be an option that suits your needs. You will have the vehicle at your disposal for a longer timeframe.

Kia manuia.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 04:05
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport taxis

Marcus and Wendy,

I hope the following link is of some assistance to you.

http://www.cookislands.travel/taxi

Alternatively, if you intend hiring a car for your stay it's much more cost effective to have the car waiting at the airport for you when you arrive. If you are arriving on the direct flight from Sydney, as we do, it is daylight when you leave the airport & there's very little traffic on the road.

Masterton, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport taxis

Kia Orana - I have sent you a pm

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport taxis

Ness2121, I know you're involved in the "transport industry" in Raro & understand that this may have been the reason why you've sent the OP a pm.

But... I think you may have some first hand knowledge you can share with all of us that perhaps you can impart without violating any TA rules as far as self promotion or advertising is concerned.

I have always found your posts to be very informative.

Auckland Central...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport taxis

We a travelling to Rarotonga on the 15th August, 2014 and wanting pickup from airport to The Raratongian Resort and Spa. There is 4 adults and children 9yr, 7yr and 8mths, can you advise the cost please.

Email address jaide224@gmail.com. Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,585 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport taxis

Kia Orana Coxyz, welcome to the forum.

These forums are not a booking site for accommodation or taxis to accommodation. Therefore your best option is to ask the resort which shuttle service they work with for guest pickups. You could also seek quotes from both Rarotours and Tiare Transport for the transfer.

A rental vehicle(s) could work. Depends how comfortable you are driving to the resort yourselves. The Rarotongan is easy to locate. Booked rental vehicles are left waiting at the airport with the hirer's name in the windscreen. You can use an existing NZ licence to drive on Cook Is roads, providing it is valid for the same class of driver licencing and its current.

Yesterday's local paper shows fares to Aroa Beach (Rarotongan Resort) starting at $15 per person. The Cook Islands Taxi Association has set these fares for their distinctive bright-green cabs. Need to pre-book a taxi-van for airport pickup,

All the best for your holiday plans. Kia manuia.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 05:30
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport taxis

Hi Coxyz

It is not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum.

I would suggest that you remove your post and re-post it without the email address.

Auckland, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport taxis

Kia ora can u help us?

My partner and i arrive at the airport next wed 11th feb 1.35pm & are after a taxi to take us to our resort club Raro how much would it cost us?

Thanks

Auckland Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport taxis

Hi There.. .travelling to Raro for the first time in July... can anyone advise if Rarotours are a good transfer serivce?.. are there any recommendations?

Cheers

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,585 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport taxis

Kia Orana ACRE, welcome to the forum.

Raro tours do lots of airport transfers, you will be in good hands.

Alternatives are Tiare Transport, a taxi or your accommodator may have their own coach service. You could also consider having a rental car left at the airport for you.

As a matter of interest, where are you staying?

Kia manuia.

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations