We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental without excess

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental without excess

Does anyone know if any of the Raro car rental companies make it possible to rent a car without excess? I don't care about the rate but don't like excess of 500-2000 NZD.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental without excess

We never take up the excess offer, BUT....... we do make sure we have the excess clause in our travel insurance.

There is always the possibility of a dog running in front of your vehicle or a coconut falling from a tree whilst you're swimming - of course the said coconut will always hit your car before it hits the ground ;-).

Edited: 06 May 2014, 13:36
Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental without excess

Kia Orana Noppie,

I know RaroCars offer the option of no excess for $20/day www.rarocars.com

Pakou

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental without excess

Can someone explain the term "excess". It's unfamiliar to me and we have rented cars in many countries. My rental information states: "If you wish to reduce your excess, you can do so for additional $/day." What are we reducing by paying MORE?

Thanks!

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental without excess

Kia Orana Emmechelle,

Excess applies if you have an accident or cause damage to the vehicle. If for example you have isurance with $500 excess and crash the car you would have to pay for the damage up to $500. So, if the damage is $300 you pay $300 - if the damage is $1500 you pay $500.

Pakou

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental without excess

We call that the "Deductible". Chuck.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 23:28
Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental without excess

Thank you, Pakou!

So if we pay an extra $10/day for a car or $3/day for a scooter rental, we can potentially save ourselves $1500 or $1000, respectively should we have a accident.

In our case, it turns out to be $25NZD extra for 6 days (1 day car/5 day scooter). I don't think that's a bad deal, unless doing so negates the agreement on our credit card. I will have to verify that aspect, and see which turns out in our favor.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
797 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental without excess

For years my husband and I had always paid the excess insurance, then we read the fine print of our travel insurance and realized that it was covered within that.

Check to see if it's included there otherwise it's definitely worth the extra NZ$25 for 6 days.

Canby, OR
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental without excess

Now that I understand the terminology, (basically "what will you pay out of pocket if you have an accident...depending on how much insurance you have purchased") I was able do a bit more research. (C'mon guys! I have to fill my time somehow during these next 5 days!!)

I have a pretty good credit card that covers many travel-related scenarios, however, I called them and a SCOOTER is not covered. Therefore, we can decline collision on a car rental if we want and expect to be backed up by the CC company, but they are not going to help if we have an accident on a scooter. My husband owns a motorcycle and maybe our personal insurance would be a consideration, but I am not going to sweat that. We are going to pay an extra $3/day for scooter insurance and be cautious, we aren't anticipating being in a rush...unless those dang dogs show up! My husband was a champ on the Amalfi Coast...now THAT'S a ride!

I have a couple of tips from past experience that may or may not apply to Cooks, but just an aside while we are on the subject: 1) Credit card "Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver" (where you waive the collision insurance when renting a car) only applies to COLLISION...AKA, damage to the vehicle, NOT injury to a person(s). In the States, your personal car insurance kicks in there, I can't speak for other countries so it's something to think about. Who wants to be responsible for someone's medical bills forever more? And 2) some countries require WRITTEN consent from your CC that you have collision coverage before they will waive it. We encountered this in Panama in the Airport. No letter, no waiver! That was quite the battle that I'd rather avoid in the future!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental without excess

Hi guys

Just another thought here. Some insurance policies don't cover injuries to people who will be driving a scooter but who don't have a licence to drive them in their home country.

Mine does (not that I want to drive a scooter, LOL) but I checked when someone pointed out that theirs didn't. I think I also saw a government advisory warning to that effect. I guess it's like exclusions for dangerous sports like skydiving.

emmechelle - I can feel your excitement!

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental without excess

Hi..so I was just eondering..what exactly should it say in your travel insurance so that u wont need to pay excess at car rental? Sorry this is all new to me..im still searching for travel insurance and I leave in 2 week ekk! Haha