We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
628 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

We are looking to book Marino holiday home which is on the beach at Nikao and am wondering if anyone can advise what the swimming / snorkelling is like out the front.

We will have a car so will be travelling to all our favourite spots, but we usually stay in Arorangi area where my husband happily spends a couple of hours in the day swimming around with his underwater camera taking pictures of the sea life. I love this time because it is my relax time where I can just curl up with a book, so am hoping that Nikao will offer him the same enjoyment! The fish don't have to be pretty, in fact the more ugly think moray eels, lion fish the happier he is.

Also love to know if anyone has stayed at Marino and there impressions, I gather the property is very new.

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

Hi cd,

Marino is around 8 years old from memory. Nicely kept grounds and home, with living space upstairs to capture the seabreeze and views. There was reference to the house several years back, on the forum, by a poster who lives in the Horowhenua area.

Swimming is best at high tide, where there is a clear patch of lagoon directly out front of the property. A short walk east towards Nikao Beach Bungalows sees slightly deeper water.

So far as fishlife go, the lagoon ecosystem in this particular stretch is an important breeding and nursery habitat for a diverse range of fish species. Fish are small but plentiful.

You'll find ample opportunity to read several good books staying in this locality. All the best.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

I think flossieNZ may have stayed here.

Every time I have ridden by on my scooter the coral has been exposed as can been seen in the photos taken on the rentraro website. House looks great but the lagoon is very shallow in this area.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

We stayed in Titikaveka and the swimming and snorkelling was the best we found on raro.

we were able to snorkel and swim at high or low tides and saw many fish - big and small, moray eels, rays.

it was also a nice 40 min walk along the beach to muri if you wanted to try the restaurants there.

i have read that the prevalent wind is on this side, but we never had any issues.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

Hi CD

We too usually stay in the Arorangi area and, like your husband, spend hours snorkeling (our favourite place - lion fish / eels, etc - is just in front of Aro'a Beachside Inn). A couple of years ago we went to look at properties in the Nikao area. We stopped and looked at the Marino house. It didn't suit us because it was very close to the road and not a good snorkelling / beach area. The house itself looked to be well maintained though. Are you looking for beachfront?

Where do you usually stay?

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
628 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

Thanks everyone based on the snorkelling we are heading to the Titikaveka area. Glu_2 we have stayed previously at Sunset Palms house and other family in the studio, off the top of my head I cant remember the name of the other place, but that time there was 6 of us, so 4 in the main part of the property and 2 of us in the studio that was attached. It wasn't too far down from Sunset, probably a km or so. :-)

6. Re: Swimming or snorkelling in Nikao near Marino Holiday Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:15