We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson
Level Contributor
6 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

We are going to Raro at the end of August. It'll be our second trip and really looking forward to it.

Where can you get good fresh fish in Rarotonga, and what types of fish do they have?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Hi

Ocean Fresh, in Panama near the airport, is the best and the locals agree! It will sometimes run out until the next boatload comes in.

The types available vary according to weather and seasons. But I've seen Tuna (2 varieties), Broadbill (Swordfish), Mahi Mahi, Marlin (2 varieties), Albacore (another type of tuna), Moon Fish and others that I can't remember at present. I know one year I counted 12 different varieties.

One year they'd run out and said the next lot was being unloaded - come back in a couple of hours. We went to the wharf and, sure enough, the boat was being unloaded.

I live mainly on fish when I visit Raro.

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Kia Orana Doublenaff,

There are a couple of options for fresh fish.

Ocean Fresh is close to the entrance to the Airport and Blue Pacific Foods is on the backroad if you turn inland at the main harbour then turn left you'll find it.

Generally Ocean Fresh seems more reliable with supply.

Common fish is Broadbill, Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin, Mahi mahi (Dolphin fish) and Albacore. Price is anything from $8/kg if there has been lots caught.

Pakou

Edited: 17 August 2014, 03:26
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Kia Orana Doublenaff.

There have been excellent stocks of fresh fish available at Ocean Fresh recently. They have been having incredible sales of late to offload stocks as the new catches arrive. Mahi mahi has been $10.00 per kilo even!

Another place is Kai Moana located in Punanga Nui market area which opens from Monday to Saturday, and which sells chilled fish primarily.

Prime Foods stocks fresh tuna as does Wigmore's. So you won't miss out if its been good fishing on our oceans.

Kia manuia.

Nelson
Level Contributor
6 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Hey thanks everyone for the useful info - can't wait to get there!

5. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 09:35
New Zealand
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Is there anywhere to buy fish on a Sunday?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

Yes, indeed.

Ocean Fresh opens even earlier on a Sunday morning - around 6.30 am I think.

I think Blue Pacific also opens on Sundays, but later.

Most shops are closed, but Wigmore's in Vaimaanga is also open on Sundays.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 06:52
8. Re: Where to buy Fresh Fish in Rarotonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17