We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I get an OK deal?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky, USA
5 posts
Save Topic
Did I get an OK deal?

I just booked 7 nights at the Raro Beach Bungalows + air from LAX for $4600+. After reading some here (esp. Lord Balfour) I am wondering how much I might have saved booking myself instead of with a travel agent (Travel Wizard) and maybe renting a nice house/apartment.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

Well, there is no doubt you could have found a cheaper house or bungalow. I'm not quite sure what the airfare is during the time of your trip but it's possible you also might have been able to say a couple of hundred bucks by booking yourself - but in general I would say that the price you paid seems "reasonable" considering the prices listed on the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows website (I'm assuming you got a beachfront unit).

I will also say this - having seen them myself (and having NEVER heard a bad word about the place), the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows are terrific. The location is great and the units are beautiful.

I'm sure you'll have a VERY good time.

Ken

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

I would also add that, first, it is done! You booked and paid. Second, what happens next is what is important: If you have fun and a great time, then you didn't pay too much....and I'm sure you will have a great time. Take care. Chuck

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

For what it's worth...

We were there in May-June and booked thru Costco. Our airfare from LAX was about $900pp and the RBB rate was roughly $230US per night for a beach front. In our case it wasn't any cheaper to book air or hotel ourselves and rates for both went up in the time since we booked. Don't know if that was a good deal or not, but it was worth every penny! We loved the Raro Beach Bungalows!!! Location, location, location! The property is on a great stretch of beach perfect for snorkeling, hanging out and kayaking. We preferred it over our Aitutaki stay at Etu Moana because the beach (and weather) was so much better. Great small property with a terrific friendly staff. We'd return there in a heartbeat and my husband said it would have to be free to get him to stay on a different stretch of sand. Have a great time.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

You did fine Banister.....most people don't save alot of money, or pay any more, when using a travel agent...the upshot is you have someone to help you...thereby saving you hours of time, usually a good agent has been to the destination and can give you good advice, tips etc....if you book on your own.....you are then on your own if things don't go as planned...wholesalers and travel agents have ground operators at the destinations to help you as well...

Many many people book their trips themselves and most all go quite well. I must tell you though that the Raro Beach Bungalows is a wonderful property! It is on a great stretch of beach and the bungalows are lovely...your price is right in line......

sunny regards,

shully

Kentucky, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

Ok, I feel much better. Thanks for the replies. Now, one more question: Am I missing out on a lot by passing on Aitutaki?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

Yes you are missing alot by not going to Aitutaki!!!

There are day trips out there that include the airfare/lagoon tour/lunch/transfers...you can purchase them in Rarotonga.

It would be a shame for you to miss one of the most beautiful lagoons in the world when you are so close to it....

it is fantastically mesmerizingly gorgeous.

sunny regards,

shully

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

As usual, I agree wholeheartedly with Shully. Take the day tour if nothing else. Aitutaki's lagoon is stunning!

Ken

Kentucky, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

Ballpark cost on the day trip to Aitutaki?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

I think its like $299/pp for flight and snorkel trip maybe $65/pp more.

As much as that may seem, its worth it! On a clear day Aitutaki is almost too beautiful to believe.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I get an OK deal?

Yes if possible do an Aitutaki day trip. We weren't impressed with the beaches or color of H2O from shore at all. We were disappointed and kicking ourselves that we left RBB! Too much hype perhaps? But once out on the water the lagoon by the motus was a different story. Beautiful! I could have stayed on Honeymoon and other motus forever. We enjoyed our lagoon cruise with Kia Orana and even better was we a boat trip with a local woman named Kathy that Etu Moana recommended. She and 2 sisters cruised us around for some fishing before dropping us off on a deserted motu. I would have done that every day on Aitutaki if I could have.